Use of static keyword instead of global object

Sam.Gundry

Hi,

I wish to share an object through a bunch of functions without
declaring it globally. I have achieved this through the following
function:

VideoReceiver* getReceiver()
{
static VideoReceiver *vr = new VideoReceiver();
return vr;
}

So, the first time it is called a new VideoReceiver object is created.
Subsequent calls return this object (without creating new ones).

E.g, All one needs to do to access the VideoReceiver is:

function blah()
{
VideoReceiver vr = getReceiver();
vr->update()

//do blah
}

Are there any problems or issues I should be aware of using this type
of code? Is it a no-no? I make multiple calls to getReceiver() each
frame.

It was originally a hack to get going but now that I've advanced a
reasonable way I'm considering just leaving it, since it is currently
working as expected.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions,
Sam.

Andre Kostur

Hi,

I wish to share an object through a bunch of functions without
declaring it globally. I have achieved this through the following
function:

VideoReceiver* getReceiver()
{
static VideoReceiver *vr = new VideoReceiver();
return vr;
}

Why dynamically allocate it? Why not simply make it a static local
variable?
So, the first time it is called a new VideoReceiver object is created.
Subsequent calls return this object (without creating new ones).

E.g, All one needs to do to access the VideoReceiver is:

function blah()
{
VideoReceiver vr = getReceiver();

I assume you meant "VideoReceiver * vr"....
vr->update()

//do blah
}

Are there any problems or issues I should be aware of using this type
of code? Is it a no-no? I make multiple calls to getReceiver() each
frame.

I don't think that the object will ever be destroyed. With a local
static it will (sometime after main....)
It was originally a hack to get going but now that I've advanced a
reasonable way I'm considering just leaving it, since it is currently
working as expected.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions,

Perhaps make it a static local variable and return a reference to it.

AnonMail2005

[...]

The function is fine except I would return
a reference to the object - this way there
is no chance of anyone deleting the object
by accident.

Also, as another poster said, there's no
need for dynamic allocation - just use a
static local.

But for multi-threaded programs, the construction
of the object is not safe. See, for instance,
Modern C++ Design for a good discussion on this.

Some times, this is ok. For instance, I use a
static local log object inside a function. But
I make sure it is used (and hence constructed)
in the main thread before any other threads are
invoked.

Dave Rahardja

[...]

There is no problem with this kind of code, except that the VideoReceiver
object is never destroyed.

Your solution is actually a common implementation of the Singleton pattern in
C++. A more typical code would be:

MyClass& getClassInstance()
{
MyClass myClass;
return myClass;
}

The pattern you are using also solves a common problems with globals:
initialization order.

-dr

paul.joseph.davis

There is no problem with this kind of code, except that the VideoReceiver
object is never destroyed.

Your solution is actually a common implementation of the Singleton pattern in
C++. A more typical code would be:

MyClass& getClassInstance()
{
MyClass myClass;
return myClass;

}

The pattern you are using also solves a common problems with globals:
initialization order.

-dr

Like dr says, this is the singleton pattern and is quite useful. I
find it useful to use a singleton as a non-copyable as well like so:

class Singleton
{
public:
virtual ~Singleton() {}

protected:

Singleton() {}

Singleton( const Singleton& singleton ) {}

Singleton&
operator=( const Singleton& singleton ) {}
} ;

class MyClass : public Singleton
{
public:
static MyClass&
Instance()
{
if( !_instance )
{
boost::shared_ptr< MyClass > temp( new MyClass() ) ;
_instance = temp ;
}

return _instnace ;
}

void
foo() ;

private:

static boost::shared_ptr< MyClass > _instance ;
} ;

And then you can just do:

MyClass::Instance().foo() ;

or

MyClass& inst = MyClass::Instance() ;
inst.foo() ;

To use it in code.

HTH,
Paul Davis

paul.joseph.davis

[...]

Totally looked this over after I posted and realized I messed up a
couple points.

in Instance():

should be:

return *( _instance.get() ) ;

And don't forget to put:

boost::shared_ptr< MyClass > MyClass::_instance, in a source file
somewhere.

Sorry if thats just confusing.

Paul Davis