Use of System Property file.encoding deprecated ?

Ben_

Hello,

I ran accros a file encoding issue and read the following comment in a blog
post:
"
-Dfile.encoding is deprecated. You should set the underlying system locale!
"
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/361975

But, I couldn't find a strong reference on Sun site to support the assertion
that using the System Property is indeed deprecated.

Your help is appreciated.

Thx.

Arne Vajhøj

Ben_ said:
I ran accros a file encoding issue and read the following comment in a
blog post:
"
-Dfile.encoding is deprecated. You should set the underlying system locale!
"
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/361975

But, I couldn't find a strong reference on Sun site to support the
assertion that using the System Property is indeed deprecated.

I have never heard that it should be deprecated. If it were really
deprecated then you should get a warning when using it - that is
the Java way.

You should not believe everything you read on the internet.

That said, then it is rarely a good solution. It is usually
some attempt to get non-ASCII to work in a command prompt on
Windows.

Arne

Ben_

I have never heard that it should be deprecated. If it were really
deprecated then you should get a warning when using it - that is
the Java way.

You should not believe everything you read on the internet.

I don't. Hence my posting here.
That said, then it is rarely a good solution.

I suspect "deprecated" should better read "not recommended".