Use of XML in Document Repository

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jay, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Hi,

    I'm very new to XML and have been reading all of the things I could
    about it as I can. I'm currently involved in developing a central
    document repository that is searchable and cosiists of different
    document types, such as Word, PDF, text, etc. I understand that I can
    develop metadata XML about each of the documents to describe what the
    document is about. I can create a sort of "Book Information" data
    structure that defines every file and its author, isbn, etc...Now the
    only thing that I'm unsure of is what benifit, besides metadata, can I
    get from porting to XML. I have this vision that I can probably create
    a search engine that looks through each metatdata XML file to find the
    file that is a match for my serch and then I can serve up that XML
    file that contains a link to download the actual PDF, or DOC, or
    whatever it is. However, I can just as easily do this with a the
    current method, which is that I have a DB Schema that has all of these
    things and then just execute a SQL query to dynamically generate a
    page that serves the information. So I'm a bit confused as to how I
    can benifit from XML and how I can tie my XML to my DB?

    Unfortunately, there are many books that talk about the benifits of
    XML, but not many teach us to implement the kind of systems that are
    mostly affected by XML, like content management and document
    managament; well atleast I haven't come across one, and I can really
    buy all of them.

    Please help me understand this and hopefully I can pass on the
    knowledge acquired among my friends.

    Thank you.

    Jay.

    Jay, Jun 6, 2004

  2. On 5 Jun 2004 19:56:26 -0700, Jay <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm very new to XML and have been reading all of the things I could
    > about it as I can. I'm currently involved in developing a central
    > document repository that is searchable and cosiists of different
    > document types, such as Word, PDF, text, etc. I understand that I can
    > develop metadata XML about each of the documents to describe what the
    > document is about. I can create a sort of "Book Information" data
    > structure that defines every file and its author, isbn, etc...Now the
    > only thing that I'm unsure of is what benifit, besides metadata, can I
    > get from porting to XML. I have this vision that I can probably create
    > a search engine that looks through each metatdata XML file to find the
    > file that is a match for my serch and then I can serve up that XML
    > file that contains a link to download the actual PDF, or DOC, or
    > whatever it is. However, I can just as easily do this with a the
    > current method, which is that I have a DB Schema that has all of these
    > things and then just execute a SQL query to dynamically generate a
    > page that serves the information. So I'm a bit confused as to how I
    > can benifit from XML and how I can tie my XML to my DB?
    >
    > Unfortunately, there are many books that talk about the benifits of
    > XML, but not many teach us to implement the kind of systems that are
    > mostly affected by XML, like content management and document
    > managament; well atleast I haven't come across one, and I can really
    > buy all of them.
    >
    > Please help me understand this and hopefully I can pass on the
    > knowledge acquired among my friends.
    >

    > Thank you.
    >
    > Jay.

    The W3C is a good resource for whats going on in XML - since you
    are interested in document management you might start with the\
    "Semantic Web" here:
    http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/

    Also look at the XML Query page
    http://www.w3.org/XML/Query