    Ideally, I would write a Perl script that gets GMT from the internet,
    adds the proper offset according to my time zone and DST status, and
    then updates the time in my Windows system.
    EdwardATeller, Mar 11, 2007

  2. On 2007-03-11 15:01, EdwardATeller <> wrote:
    > Before I bust my head against a wall, do you think it's possible to
    > use Perl to update the time in my Windows computer? My OS cannot be
    > patched.
    >
    > Ideally, I would write a Perl script that gets GMT from the internet,
    > adds the proper offset according to my time zone and DST status, and
    > then updates the time in my Windows system.

    That would certainly be a possibility. I doubt it's necessary, though. I
    remember that even in Windows95 the start and end of DST were a simply
    registry setting. No need to patch the OS - just put the right values
    into the registry.

    hp

    --
    _ | Peter J. Holzer | Blaming Perl for the inability of programmers
    |_|_) | Sysadmin WSR | to write clearly is like blaming English for
    __/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | -- Charlton Wilbur in clpm
    Peter J. Holzer, Mar 11, 2007

  3. EdwardATeller wrote:
    > Before I bust my head against a wall, do you think it's possible to
    > use Perl to update the time in my Windows computer?

    I don't see any reason why you couldn't just call the "date" command.
    However, -although not a Perl issue- I would suggest to simply update your
    system. The proper updates for the new DST in the USA have been available
    for quite some time.

    > My OS cannot be
    > patched.

    Then maybe you should look into fixing this problem? After all, you are
    missing many, many other updates, too, which are more important than this
    stupid DST change update.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Mar 11, 2007
  4. EdwardATeller

    Guest

    quoting:
    > Before I bust my head against a wall, do you think it's possible to
    > use Perl to update the time in my Windows computer? My OS cannot be
    > patched.
    >
    > Ideally, I would write a Perl script that gets GMT from the internet,
    > adds the proper offset according to my time zone andDSTstatus, and
    > then updates the time in my Windows system.

    What Windows version? Most can be patched via the registry, and there
    are several unofficial patches available that automate the process.
    The ones on intelliadmin.com are very good, and I've used them on my
    windows 2000 and 98 systems.
    , Mar 11, 2007
  5. "EdwardATeller" <> wrote in

    > My OS cannot be patched.