Use Python library from C++

Chang LI

I want to use the Python Libray from my C++ program.
The Python Libray is no GUI. How can I mix C++ and
Python?

One way is to run PY library as an independent process.
Another way is to start PY as a C++ thread.
The third way is to run Python engine as part of the C++.
Which way is better?

No intention to access all the Python's code but only
access APIs of a module.

Robert Kern

Chang said:
I want to use the Python Libray from my C++ program.
The Python Libray is no GUI. How can I mix C++ and
Python?

One way is to run PY library as an independent process.
Another way is to start PY as a C++ thread.
The third way is to run Python engine as part of the C++.
Which way is better?

No intention to access all the Python's code but only
access APIs of a module.

Try Elmer.

http://elmer.sf.net

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

zhao

Chang said:
I want to use the Python Libray from my C++ program.
The Python Libray is no GUI. How can I mix C++ and
Python?

One way is to run PY library as an independent process.
Another way is to start PY as a C++ thread.
The third way is to run Python engine as part of the C++.
Which way is better?

No intention to access all the Python's code but only
access APIs of a module.

Try boost.python and SWIG?
(boost.sourceforge.net, swig.sourceforge.net)

Both provide a interface between C/C++ and python
if you want gui under python, you also can try wxpython or pygtk

Chris S.

zhao said:
Try boost.python and SWIG?
(boost.sourceforge.net, swig.sourceforge.net)

Both provide a interface between C/C++ and python
if you want gui under python, you also can try wxpython or pygtk

I thought SWIG ported C/C++ libraries to Perl, Python, Ruby, Tcl, etc?
How would you use it to port Python into C/C++?

I think what you're looking for is instruction on how to embed Python in
your C/C++ application.

Pierre Barbier de Reuille

Chang LI a écrit :
I want to use the Python Libray from my C++ program.
The Python Libray is no GUI. How can I mix C++ and
Python?

One way is to run PY library as an independent process.
Another way is to start PY as a C++ thread.
The third way is to run Python engine as part of the C++.
Which way is better?

No intention to access all the Python's code but only
access APIs of a module.

If you just want to access the Python API (or some APIs of modules) you
need to launch the interpreter (in the current thread will be ok) and
then you can access everything ... import modules, create objects, etc.

Pierre

Chang LI

Pierre Barbier de Reuille said:
If you just want to access the Python API (or some APIs of modules) you
need to launch the interpreter (in the current thread will be ok) and
then you can access everything ... import modules, create objects, etc.

Yes. That is what I want (to launch Python Interpreter from C++ and use it)
Where is the document?

Chang LI

Chris S. said:
I thought SWIG ported C/C++ libraries to Perl, Python, Ruby, Tcl, etc?
How would you use it to port Python into C/C++?

SWIG is for Python to use C++. I am searching for in reverse.

Robert Kern

Chang said:
SWIG is for Python to use C++. I am searching for in reverse.

Elmer is the reverse of SWIG, and should be easier to use than using the
Python C API itself. Elmer will handle the conversion of types between
Python and C++ and will expose a nice API on the C++ side.

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

zhao

swig is a interface of C/C++ to python, but not in reverse.

In term of python document, there are extend and embed, and your need
is embed.

below is a short tutorial, maybe helpful:
http://tutorials.impereonsoft.com/python/extemb.html

if you work in windows, and you have install pywin32 package, it expose
a com interface of python interpreter,
so you also can use python's script or module in your application by
this interface.
if you use BCB, you can use a VCL component name "Python for Delphi".

Wynand Winterbach

Robert Kern said:
.... (snip)

Try Elmer.
http://elmer.sf.net

There is also a library called PyCXX at http://cxx.sourceforge.net/.
It's main purpose is to provide a convenient C++ interface to the
Python C API. For example, it takes care of reference counting etc.
Although it's purpose is to write C++ extensions for Python, it should
be fairly easy to use it in reverse. It's a nice lib either way.