Use standard ASPX page as a HTTP handler

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Michael, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Hi

    I would like to use an existing ASPX page as a HTTP handler so that I
    can do something like this....

    <system.web>
    <httpHandlers>
    <add verb="*" path="Global.aspx" type="MyApp.Web.scripts.Global,
    MyApp.web/>
    </httpHandlers>
    </system.web>

    Where Global.aspx is a standard 'Web Form' created in the vs.net
    designer

    I have tried this and it does execute the code in the code behind but
    it doesn't initialise or render any of the controls on the aspx page
    (even runat=server). Clearly I am missing something.

    It seems to me that this would be an elegant way to create a 'Global'
    Aspx page that could be referenced from multiple paths within a
    virtual directory without duplication or the use of parent paths. I
    have tried other approaches such as using the
    Application_BeginRequest to do a RewritePath but ran into a lot of
    problems e.g. use of query string data + inabilty to look at User
    Authentication within Application_BeginRequest.

    Any help appreciated

    Michael Dausmann

    Michael, Aug 3, 2003