use UrlEditor in Component Editor forms

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Kevin Marshall, Aug 16, 2004.

  1. Hello everyone,

    I have built a server control and managed almost everything I wished to
    achieve with it using the book MsPress book on developing server controls, I
    do have one problem. I have made a component editor (property builder) form
    and its working perfectly apart from my URL properties.

    My question:

    Is it possible to place a button next to the text fields that can invoke the
    UrlEditor dialog and place the result into the text field? or am I going to
    have to build my own dialog from scratch to do this, possible inheriting
    from the existing dialog is possible.

    I have used the UrlEditor successfully in the main property grid but can't
    work out how to invoke the dialog from the component editor form.

    Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

    --
    Kevin Marshall
    WebXeL.com Ltd

    ASP.NET Dreamweaver Extensions
    http://www.webxel-dw.co.uk

    Kevin Marshall, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Kevin Marshall

    [MSFT] Guest

    [MSFT], Aug 17, 2004

  3. Kevin Marshall

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hi Kevin,

    Did you still have any concerns on this issue? If so, please feel free to
    post here.

    Luke

    [MSFT], Aug 19, 2004
  4. Hi Luke,

    Sorry for not getting back to you on this, other thing got in the way (don't
    they always).

    I am not sure if I am just being dumb or you misunderstood what I wanted to
    do, the URL you gave me seem to be instruction on how to wire
    editors/designers to the main instance of the property grid that appears
    when the control is selected on the design surface, I already have all this
    working well, when selecting a URL property the little button appears and
    invokes the UrlEditor, example of my OnCancelURL property:

    [
    Bindable(true),
    Category("Cart URLs"),
    Browsable(true),
    Editor(typeof(UrlEditor),
    typeof(UITypeEditor))
    ]
    public string OnCancelURL
    {
    get{return i_OnCancelURL;}
    set{i_OnCancelURL = value;}
    }

    Like I said, this works fine on the main property grid, my problem is that I
    am also using component editor (Property Builder) for the control, so just a
    DataGrid control you can right click my control and select "Property
    Builder" to open a windows form to allow more convenient editing of the
    control properties. the main problem is how can I add a button next to the
    text field thats tied to my OnCancelURL property, the button should invoke
    the UrlEditor dialog and insert the result into the text field?

    It's probably possible but I am a relative beginner at implementing design
    time functionality so it seems an impossible task to me at the moment.

    Any advice is very much appreciated.

    Thank you.

    Kevin Marshall, Aug 19, 2004
  5. Kevin Marshall

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hi Kevin,

    It looks that I misunderstood the question. Did you mean the UrlEditor
    Class? It inherits from System.Drawing.Design.UITypeEditor and can only be
    used within property grid. We have to create a customized form for other
    usage.

    Luke

    [MSFT], Aug 20, 2004
  6. Ok, I suppose I could make my own using a normal open file dialog, All I
    would need to know is how to obtain the physical path of my project file and
    the physical path of page currently being worked on.

    If I could get both these paths converting the result from the open file
    dialog into a URL will be simple enough.

    Is that possible?

    Thanks

    Kevin Marshall, Aug 20, 2004
  7. Kevin Marshall