    show me how to do it or if there are any tutorials i can read i would
    really appreciate that.

    , May 9, 2006

  2. You haven't told us anything. XML can represent literally *any* kind of
    data, regardless of whether it's related to a database or not. Can you
    provide more information about your requirements?

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    Professional Numbskull

    Hard work is a medication for which
    there is no placebo.

    Kevin Spencer, May 9, 2006

  3. melody Guest

    Sorry i am totally new to XML as well.....what i actually want to do is
    get the input from a form and pass that to a stored procedure in sql
    server...sorry if i am not being very specific like i said i am still
    learning....TIA

    melody, May 9, 2006
  4. sloan Guest

    Check the 2 articles I have at:

    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sholliday/

    The 0:N one will show you how to populate data (inside a stored proc) with
    an xml input.

    sloan, May 9, 2006
  5. Hi melody,
    Ok, this doesn't sound like it needs anything to do with XML at this point.
    XML (Extensible Markup Language) is a very cool medium for storing and
    transmitting data of virtually any kind, as it is, by definition,
    eXtensible. Because it is fully text-based, XML is
    corss-platform-compatible. Because it has a strict but fairly simple set of
    rules, it can be interpreted by any client. Because of derived technologies
    like XSL (Exstensible Style Language), it can be transformed into any other
    compatible data format. Just so you know.

    But in this case, you're taking user input from an HTML form, and passing
    that to a stored procedure in a database. For this, all you need is a set of
    data classes and some elbow grease.

    For this, you may want to use some of the tools which Microsoft has made
    freely available through their "Patterns and Practices" web site. This
    includes various class libraries that provide support for common database
    operations, and can even be specified by the .Net arena you're working in,
    in this case, ASP.Net. See:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/practices/apptype/webapps/

    Kevin Spencer, May 9, 2006