    PDF, or RTF. But the contents are all stored in single XML file.

    Are they any documentation management tools/web site that help people do that?

    please help. thanks!!

    Matt, Jul 5, 2004

  2. Re: Use XML to store configurations and convert to different fileformats

    Matt wrote:

    > I want to use XML to store a document's configurations. And I can convert
    > to different file format by using XSL. For example, convert to HTML,
    > PDF, or RTF. But the contents are all stored in single XML file.
    >
    > Are they any documentation management tools/web site that help people do that?

    You can use XSLT to convert XML to HTML and to XSL-FO which can then be
    converted to PDF.
    The XSLT 1.0 documentation is at
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt
    you can find XSLT processors at
    http://saxon.sourceforge.net/
    http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/index.html
    http://xml.apache.org/xalan-c/index.html
    and several other places.
    A free FO formatter is available from
    http://xml.apache.org/fop/index.html

    If you use an existing document type for your configuration data there
    might well be existing solutions/stylesheets to transform to HTML and/or
    PDF but I don't know a DTD for that, try a search engine.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Jul 5, 2004