Useful function perhaps...

Toby Inkster

Edwin said:
What does't do.?

Not sure if you're asking "what does it do?" or "what doesn't it do?".

To answer both though: it doesn't slice, and it doesn't dice. It does
however, once pointed at a table of data stored in an SQL database,
generate a nice HTML table of data, plus a form that allows you to search
and sort that data.

I have now put up a demonstration of "inc_dt" in action:
http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/demonstration_of_inc_dt.php
http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/demonstration_of_inc_dt.phps

(In case you're interested, the data table it is searching is the data
used to build the <link> elements, navigation bar and site map on my site.)

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [Edwin van der Vaart] on Saturday 03 September 2005 11:26 \__
What does't do.?

What was it implemented /for/?

<snip>

display_table - Displays a searchable, sortable table.

</snip>

Roy

Edwin van der Vaart

Toby said:
Not sure if you're asking "what does it do?" or "what doesn't it do?".
The question was "what does it do".
I thought I can shorten the sentence "What does it do?" into "What
does't do?". The same as "It's do...".
To answer both though: it doesn't slice, and it doesn't dice. It does
however, once pointed at a table of data stored in an SQL database,
generate a nice HTML table of data, plus a form that allows you to search
and sort that data.

I have now put up a demonstration of "inc_dt" in action:
http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/demonstration_of_inc_dt.php
http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/demonstration_of_inc_dt.phps
Thanks for the info.
(In case you're interested, the data table it is searching is the data
used to build the <link> elements, navigation bar and site map on my site.)
Thanks but no thank you.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Toby Inkster quothed:
Not sure if you're asking "what does it do?" or "what doesn't it do?".

Edwin's Dutch so he talks like he has a cigar in his mouth.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Toby Inkster quothed:
Nope -- I always have several things on the go at once. :)

'Know what ya mean. Nothing beats a threesome at the local "Go-Go A-
Go" exotic dance club.

Edwin van der Vaart

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Toby Inkster quothed:

Edwin's Dutch so he talks like he has a cigar in his mouth.
You want one too

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [Toby Inkster] on Saturday 03 September 2005 22:30 \__
Nope -- I always have several things on the go at once. :)

It is a valuable approach to work that can easily be endured. Whenever one
piece of work becomes a bore or reaches a jam, you can divert your
attention elsewhere while still making valuable progress.

Having said that, the ideal situation involves the investment of /all/
resources to complete one task at the time (caching comes to mind, equiv.
to short-term memory). While computers can do it, the human psychology
cannot. So, multi-tasking is probably the best path to productive living
that's also enjoyable.

Best of luck!

Roy

Toby Inkster

Edwin said:
I thought I can shorten the sentence "What does it do?" into "What
does't do?".

Nope. You cannot just contract any word that takes your fancy. Almost all
English contractions take the form of:

1. a negation (something with "n't" added to the end); or

2. a combination of a pronoun (I/you/he/she/it/we/they/etc)
with an auxilary verb (have/shall/will/am/would/should/etc).

Almost any other contraction in written English is incorrect.

Notable exceptions:

'til until
'cause because

And, rather poetic, but rarely used:

'tis it is
'twas it was
'neath beneath
e'en even
e'er/ne'er ever/never

In spoken English, there are a few more.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Edwin van der Vaart quothed:
You want one too

Nah, cigarettes are my forte. I prefer subtle suicide to the more
robust flavor.

Geoff Berrow

Nope. You cannot just contract any word that takes your fancy.

Besides, 'doest' is already a word, though it's use is archaic.
(second person singular present tense of do)

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Geoff Berrow quothed:
Besides, 'doest' is already a word, though it's use is archaic.
(second person singular present tense of do)

Methinks thou doest speaketh as a maid neatly past her shade of the
moon.

Geoff Berrow

Its... Hmmm... Let me think...
Ah! Its is a large multi media compagne here in the Netherlands.

Sorry, no. 'Its' doesn't have an apostrophe when used as a pronoun,
only when used as a contraction of 'it is'.

It's a large company.
The company and its customers.

Alan J. Flavell

Sorry, no. 'Its' doesn't have an apostrophe when used as a pronoun,

(if you like that sort of group)

It's logical: my, (thy), his, her, its, our, your, their. No apostrophes
in any of them.

The exception seems to be: one's