    where the hell is that posting? I have been trying to find out that
    posting but in vain. Can anybody point me to that? I am just curious.

    simil

    simil, Sep 7, 2007

  2. simil

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth simil <>:
    > "Larry Wall released the first released version 1.0 of perl to the
    > comp.sources.misc newsgroup on December 18, 1987". Almost everybody
    > must have seen this line when they first start learning perl. But
    > where the hell is that posting? I have been trying to find out that
    > posting but in vain. Can anybody point me to that? I am just curious.

    See http://history.perl.org/PerlTimeline.html (a potted history of Perl, the
    Internet, and Unix); http://sources.isc.org/devel/lang/perl.txt (the
    original perl-1 posting without the source code), and
    http://history.perl.org/src/perl-1.0.tar.gz (the original source).

    Ben

    Ben Morrow, Sep 8, 2007

  3. simil

    simil Guest

    On Sep 8, 4:36 am, Ben Morrow <> wrote:
    > Quoth simil <>:
    >
    > > "Larry Wall released the first released version 1.0 of perl to the
    > > comp.sources.misc newsgroup on December 18, 1987". Almost everybody
    > > must have seen this line when they first start learning perl. But
    > > where the hell is that posting? I have been trying to find out that
    > > posting but in vain. Can anybody point me to that? I am just curious.

    > Seehttp://history.perl.org/PerlTimeline.html(a potted history of Perl, the
    > Internet, and Unix);http://sources.isc.org/devel/lang/perl.txt(the
    > original perl-1 posting without the source code), andhttp://history.perl.org/src/perl-1.0.tar.gz(the original source).
    >
    > Ben

    hi,
    Thanks for the links. But, I was looking for the exact posting made
    by larry wall in comp.sources.misc usenet group. I searched the group
    but couldn't find anything :(. And regarding the content of the first
    post at http://sources.isc.org/devel/lang/perl.txt ,why is the date
    Jan 31, 1988 and not Dec 18, 1987?

    simil

    simil, Sep 8, 2007
  4. >>>>> "simil" == simil <> writes:

    simil> Thanks for the links. But, I was looking for the exact posting made
    simil> by larry wall in comp.sources.misc usenet group. I searched the group
    simil> but couldn't find anything :(. And regarding the content of the first
    simil> post at http://sources.isc.org/devel/lang/perl.txt ,why is the date
    simil> Jan 31, 1988 and not Dec 18, 1987?

    I think we're all going off the CVS date which is 1987-12-18 as the
    'birthday', although you're right, it wasn't published to comp.sources.unix
    until the end of January 1988.

    I found

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sources.unix/msg/bb3ee125385ae25f

    which seems to be the first post of the first kit of Perl 1.0, dated
    01 Feb 1988.

    Randal L. Schwartz, Sep 8, 2007
  5. In article <>,
    simil <> writes:
    > > > "Larry Wall released the first released version 1.0 of perl to the
    > > > comp.sources.misc newsgroup on December 18, 1987". Almost everybody
    > > > must have seen this line when they first start learning perl. But
    > > > where the hell is that posting? I have been trying to find out that
    > > > posting but in vain. Can anybody point me to that? I am just curious.

    > Thanks for the links. But, I was looking for the exact posting made
    > by larry wall in comp.sources.misc usenet group. I searched the group
    > but couldn't find anything :(. And regarding the content of the first
    > post at http://sources.isc.org/devel/lang/perl.txt ,why is the date
    > Jan 31, 1988 and not Dec 18, 1987?

    I suspect some of that information is wrong. According to my
    archives, perl v1.0 went out on comp.sources.unix (not .misc) dated
    "1 Feb 88." See <news:> or
    <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sources.unix/msg/bb3ee125385ae25f?dmode=source&hl=en>.

    I looked in my USENET archive CD-ROM dated July 1993, and I see
    no Perl release that early on comp.sources.misc. I do note,
    however, that volume 1 of c.s.m is missing from that archive --
    and may have never existed. (Volume 2 of c.s.m started in early 1988.)

    I don't know about the date discrepancy. Note that the c.s.u
    moderator did a lot of checking of input, and many submissions
    took quite a lot of additional work (and time) before they were
    portable enough and compiled cleanly enough to go out under the
    c.s.u manteau. It's also possible that a submission didn't work
    well with non-UNIX systems and was kicked over to c.s.u from c.s.m
    (although, and I repeat, I have no knowledge of this particular
    situation).

    - dmw

    --
    .. Douglas Wells . Connection Technologies .
    .. Internet: -sp9804- -at - contek.com- .

    Douglas Wells, Sep 8, 2007