user access to only certain pages through session variable?

joe

Some time ago I set up an ASP application that used a login page which
checked a username and password against a database to determine a users
authorization to access certain pages on the site. This was done by setting
a session variable within the application if the user was authorized and
using code on each page for which protection was required to check for the
status of the session variable.

Now I am aware of the various techniques that ASP.NET provides to allow or
preclude access to asp.net apps but frankly I really liked that other one
because it didn't use cookies which many users are a bit afraid of.

My problem is this....I can't remember how I set it up and I don't know
where to look. I think I found the technique in an old ASP book (vs
asp.net).

Does anyone know where I can look to find this technique in the form of
sample code or a tutorial?