    what may be the browser
    type. If Mozilla/4.0 is the UserAgent can we take it as a Netscape Browser.

    LIN

    LIN, Aug 14, 2003

  2. If you just see Mozilla/4.0, and no (compatible...) string following it,
    then it likely is a Netscape browser.

    James

    James J. Foster, Aug 14, 2003

  3. LIN

    LIN Guest

    Hi,
    Thanx for ur reply. Then how to find out the version of the Netscape
    Browser

    LIN

    LIN, Aug 14, 2003
  4. The number following the Mozilla/ portion will give you a rough estimate as
    to the browser version. However, some versions (6.x, 7.x) share a number
    (Mozilla/5.0), and so you cannot determine for certain without the full user
    agent string.

    See:
    http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2002/gecko-useragent-strings/
    http://www.mozilla.org/build/revised-user-agent-strings.html

    Conceivably, although I can't name a specific package doing this, firewall
    software could change the user-agent string for privacy reasons.

    James

    James J. Foster, Aug 14, 2003