User attached to other user's session

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?QmVuamFtaW4gSmFuZWNrZQ==?=, Mar 19, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    we're struggling with a strange session problem in an ASP.NET 2.0
    application. The application is used by our customers to access
    customer-related information such as invoices over the internet. Customer
    have to log-in and are then identified by their customer number and some
    other information stored in the session. We use the asp.net session cookie
    system to keep track of the sessions. This works quite well. Unfortunately
    though, we receive occasional reports that customers are able to see and open
    the invoices of another customer that has recently logged-in. This happens
    immediately after completing the log-in page. Interestingly, after opening an
    invoice and clicking the "back" button of the browser, the correct data is
    displayed and it is no longer possible to access the other user's data. We've
    been investigating this issue for a while now and I can provide the following
    information:

    - the users use their own computer and do not share it with others
    - there is no bug in the application in terms of customer identification.
    Each customer has to log-in with their very own customer number and password.
    - it doesn't seem to be a browser-specific issue
    - there are no static members in the asp.net application
    - we cannot reproduce the behavior as it seems to happen sporadically

    Two more things might be interesting to mention: the asp.net-website is used
    at two different locations of our overall company website. one location opens
    the site in a new window, the other location uses frames. The error only
    occurrs if the site is embedded in a frame.

    The website uses the "SecureSessionModule" provided by msdn magazine. It's a
    custom http request handler that adds some machine-specific information to
    the session id in order to make it more secure. However, I dont think this
    module causes the error since it does nothing special.

    I guess that some browsers on some machines have problems with session
    handling if the page is embedded in a frame and therefore do not send the
    session cookie to the server. However, this does not explain why ASP.NET
    attaches the user to another running session (instead of raising an error)
    and it does also not explain why the correct session is used after clicking
    the browser's "back" button. Could it be that IIS performs some output
    caching or something similar which causes this error?

    I would really like to solve this problem (not only by getting rid of the
    frameset) so any helpful suggestions would be highly appreciated.

    regards,
    Benjamin
    =?Utf-8?B?QmVuamFtaW4gSmFuZWNrZQ==?=, Mar 19, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QmVuamFtaW4gSmFuZWNrZQ==?=

    bruce barker Guest

    its a bug in your code. you probably store a reference to session data
    in a vb module (or c# static), causing the data to be shared across all
    requests.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Mar 19, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QmVuamFtaW4gSmFuZWNrZQ==?=

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Benjamin Janecke" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > I would really like to solve this problem (not only by getting rid of the
    > frameset) so any helpful suggestions would be highly appreciated.

    Are you using static (Shared in VB.NET) variables anywhere...?
    Mark Rae, Mar 19, 2007
  4. No.
    I'm also not using any external modules and I'm not storing a reference to
    the session anywhere. This is a simple asp.net application using webservices
    only.

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVuamFtaW4gSmFuZWNrZQ==?=, Mar 19, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?QmVuamFtaW4gSmFuZWNrZQ==?=

    Aidy Guest

    > - the users use their own computer and do not share it with others

    One possibility is that this isn't true. What users say often isn't the
    truth.

    > I guess that some browsers on some machines have problems with session
    > handling if the page is embedded in a frame and therefore do not send the
    > session cookie to the server.

    I've seen this issue myself and never really got to the bottom of it. It
    isn't .net related, though, IE (haven't tested in FF) seems to have an issue
    dealing with cookies for sites that are imbeded, namely that it won't pass
    the right domain cookie to the embeded site. Probably a "security feature".
    Aidy, Mar 19, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QmVuamFtaW4gSmFuZWNrZQ==?=

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Aidy" <> wrote in message

    > I've seen this issue myself and never really got to the bottom of it. It
    > isn't .net related, though, IE (haven't tested in FF) seems to have an
    > issue dealing with cookies for sites that are imbeded, namely that it
    > won't pass the right domain cookie to the embeded site. Probably a
    > "security feature".

    Session IDs aren't guaranteed to be unique either, especially when different
    users share the same computer: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=899918

    However, I don't think this applies in this case, as the OP says that
    hitting the back button sorts it...
    Mark Rae, Mar 19, 2007
  7. Most likely you are dealing with Caching issues.

    If those users behind a same proxy server then it's quite possible that
    proxy cahcing your pages.

    I would advice add Response.Expires = -1 for all your pages.

    George.

    "Benjamin Janecke" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    George Ter-Saakov, Mar 19, 2007
  8. On Mar 19, 5:02 pm, Benjamin Janecke
    <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > we're struggling with a strange session problem in an ASP.NET 2.0
    > application. The application is used by our customers to access
    > customer-related information such as invoices over the internet. Customer
    > have to log-in and are then identified by their customer number and some
    > other information stored in the session. We use the asp.net session cookie
    > system to keep track of the sessions. This works quite well. Unfortunately
    > though, we receive occasional reports that customers are able to see and open
    > the invoices of another customer that has recently logged-in. This happens
    > immediately after completing the log-in page. Interestingly, after opening an
    > invoice and clicking the "back" button of the browser, the correct data is
    > displayed and it is no longer possible to access the other user's data. We've
    > been investigating this issue for a while now and I can provide the following
    > information:
    >
    > - the users use their own computer and do not share it with others
    > - there is no bug in the application in terms of customer identification.
    > Each customer has to log-in with their very own customer number and password.
    > - it doesn't seem to be a browser-specific issue
    > - there are no static members in the asp.net application
    > - we cannot reproduce the behavior as it seems to happen sporadically
    >
    > Two more things might be interesting to mention: the asp.net-website is used
    > at two different locations of our overall company website. one location opens
    > the site in a new window, the other location uses frames. The error only
    > occurrs if the site is embedded in a frame.
    >
    > The website uses the "SecureSessionModule" provided by msdn magazine. It's a
    > custom http request handler that adds some machine-specific information to
    > the session id in order to make it more secure. However, I dont think this
    > module causes the error since it does nothing special.
    >
    > I guess that some browsers on some machines have problems with session
    > handling if the page is embedded in a frame and therefore do not send the
    > session cookie to the server. However, this does not explain why ASP.NET
    > attaches the user to another running session (instead of raising an error)
    > and it does also not explain why the correct session is used after clicking
    > the browser's "back" button. Could it be that IIS performs some output
    > caching or something similar which causes this error?
    >
    > I would really like to solve this problem (not only by getting rid of the
    > frameset) so any helpful suggestions would be highly appreciated.
    >
    > regards,
    > Benjamin

    Benjamin,

    either try to clean a cookies before the login is proceded (look at
    the post of Mark), or try to remove the SecureSessionModule and test
    if it helps. I suppose it could be a problem in that module. I had a
    quick look into code of the module and see that a validation is based
    on a hashed message generated from:

    a) the session ID
    b) the two chunks of IP address
    c) the User-Agent name,
    d) and a secret key from the web.config.

    As we already know:

    a) could be the same
    b) no doubt - proxy, LAN, etc
    c) no doubt
    d) one for all

    Hope it helps
    Alexey Smirnov, Mar 19, 2007

  9. > Benjamin,

    > either try to clean a cookies before the login is proceded (look at
    > the post of Mark), or try to remove the SecureSessionModule and test
    > if it helps. I suppose it could be a problem in that module. I had a
    > quick look into code of the module and see that a validation is based
    > on a hashed message generated from:
    >
    > a) the session ID
    > b) the two chunks of IP address
    > c) the User-Agent name,
    > d) and a secret key from the web.config.
    >
    > As we already know:
    >
    > a) could be the same
    > b) no doubt - proxy, LAN, etc
    > c) no doubt
    > d) one for all
    >
    > Hope it helps

    You are right, but don't forget: this is _additional_ data which is appended
    to the session id generated by ASP.NET (which is supposed to be as unique as
    possible). So even though there might be computers with the same ip chunks
    and the same user agent, this has absolutely no effect on the uniqueness of
    the session id. What SecureSessionModule does is: "take the id, add some more
    stuff and let it go to the client". In case of a postback, it removes the
    extra data, compares it with the client information and raises an exception
    if it doesn't match. We use this module to minimize the risk of session
    hijacking and I dont see why removing it should solve the problem. There is
    just no logical reason for this if you think of the facts I mentioned earlier
    (e.g: happens only in framesets, works fine after the user hit the
    back-button of the browser...)

    regards,
    Benjamin
    =?Utf-8?B?QmVuamFtaW4gSmFuZWNrZQ==?=, Mar 19, 2007
  10. Just want to make it clear again: The users who reported this error had not
    shared their pcs with any other users and hat not called the website from an
    internet cafe or something similar. There is also no known connection
    betweens these users. I can guarantee this, since we explicitly interviewed
    them about their computer and internet environment in order to rule out
    client-related session problems. It definitely appears to be a server issue.
    I wouldn't post here if it was easy to fix, believe me.
    =?Utf-8?B?QmVuamFtaW4gSmFuZWNrZQ==?=, Mar 19, 2007
  11. On Mar 19, 11:06 pm, Benjamin Janecke
    <> wrote:

    > You are right, but don't forget: this is _additional_ data which is appended
    > to the session id generated by ASP.NET (which is supposed to be as unique as
    > possible). So even though there might be computers with the same ip chunks
    > and the same user agent, this has absolutely no effect on the uniqueness of
    > the session id. What SecureSessionModule does is: "take the id, add some more
    > stuff and let it go to the client". In case of a postback, it removes the
    > extra data, compares it with the client information and raises an exception
    > if it doesn't match. We use this module to minimize the risk of session
    > hijacking and I dont see why removing it should solve the problem. There is
    > just no logical reason for this if you think of the facts I mentioned earlier
    > (e.g: happens only in framesets, works fine after the user hit the
    > back-button of the browser...)

    Well, it's probably true (I cannot see the code and I can only guess).
    As you cannot find the error you should try to check all possible
    reasons and that module is the one you have to really check, I think.

    Maybe you can post your code here, otherwise I have no idea.
    Alexey Smirnov, Mar 19, 2007
  12. ok, I'm gonna try. However, we don't have a proxy server and the users don't
    have one either. Do you think it could be a proxy operated by the user's ISP?

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVuamFtaW4gSmFuZWNrZQ==?=, Mar 19, 2007
  13. I dont think I can post the code here, it's way too much ;)

    I will try removing SecureSessionModule as an "action of last ressort" as it
    would be a security risk. The problem is that it can take a long time until
    we know if this solved the error since it depends on whether or not customers
    continue to complain about it.

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVuamFtaW4gSmFuZWNrZQ==?=, Mar 19, 2007
  14. btw: it's an ssl connection

    I forgot to mention that the the connection is ssl-secured so a proxy can't
    be the reason after all.

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVuamFtaW4gSmFuZWNrZQ==?=, Mar 19, 2007
  15. On Mar 19, 11:28 pm, Benjamin Janecke
    <> wrote:
    > ok, I'm gonna try. However, we don't have a proxy server and the users don't
    > have one either. Do you think it could be a proxy operated by the user's ISP?

    Actually, who has a problem, a users from your company (no proxy?), or
    an external (internet) users?

    Regarding proxy:

    If you are about my post, your module uses this code

    builder.Append (ip.Substring (0, ip.IndexOf ('.', ip.IndexOf ('.') +
    1)));

    it means it uses a part of the IP address, which can be the same for
    one or many ISPs.
    Alexey Smirnov, Mar 19, 2007
  16. external internet users have the problem. but i don't really think it could
    be a proxy issue since the connection is ssl encrypted.

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVuamFtaW4gSmFuZWNrZQ==?=, Mar 19, 2007