User Authentication using Sockets !

Nachhu

Hi All !
Dunno if this post belongs to this group, but didn't see any dedicated
to Java Networking ?

Q:
Can anybody lead me to any docs or ex. which would show serverside
authentication with using sockets.

Goal:
I will have to tranfer my archived *.war to multiple HTTP servers(
Running on AIX boxes ) in our ND Websphere env.

I do have the option of doing FTP, but since FTP is at user level and
our passwds on the boxes age out that option is not possible.

Next option would be to use sockets and tranfer the file across.
However the problem is security. If I have listeners on my boxes
anybody can push almost anyting over. I need some kind of security not
more for encrypting the data but more as for user authentication. The
most I can do by using a simple socket/serversocket is to see which
host is connecting over to the box ..

If any of you folks could show the right direction would be very
helpful.
TIA

NS.