User cancels manual file download and aspnet_wp.exe recycles

Guest

Hi all

I have an ASP.net website that uses an aspx page locate and stream a file to an authenticated user and I'm getting the error
Aspnet_wp.exe (PID:XXXX) stopped unexpectedly

which the user sees as the Server Unavailable page

I am aware of problems using Response.BinaryWrite or Response.WriteFile to download large files and so opted for the chunked method described in the KB article 812406

The problem is that when a user cancels the download, the website stops responding. If the user then attempts to start a new download, either nothing happens or they get a Server Unavailable and my ASPnet_wp.exe gets recycled

If I step though the code and watch the file streaming out, then cancel the download before it completes, the loop continues for a while then stops. Hitting break and trying to check the values of the context, request or response objects gives me "error: cannot obtain value"

My attempts at using BinaryWrite and WriteFile met with similar problems. I have seen reference to a hotfix that adds a Response.TransferFile method but I'm not sure if this is caused by the same problem (aspnet running out of memory space), even though the symptoms are the same (recycled aspnet_wp.exe

Has anyone had similar problems? if so, will the hotfix correct it

I have found a few other posts on this problem around the net (mostly dated 1-2 years ago) but not a single response

please help