User Certificate Mapping From IIS to asp.Net Application

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by DLN, May 24, 2007.

  1. DLN

    DLN Guest

    Hello all,

    I have an asp.net application running on an IIS 6 web server that is
    configured to "Require client certificates". Is there any way in my
    application that I can retrieve the certificate the client provided to the
    web server? I'm very new to configuring IIS to use a PKI when verifying a
    client's identity, so I figured I would ask here and see if I'm completely
    off base with what I have in mind.

    What I would like to do is query the certificate the client provided to the
    web server and use the information in the certificate (email address,
    friendly name, etc...) to validate a logon against a user account in AD,
    ADAM or some other database. Is this type of configuration possible or does
    IIS not pass the client certificate down to the asp.net app? I'm not even
    sure whether or not this functionality was intended for this purpose. Any
    insight, hints, tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    dln
    DLN, May 24, 2007