user control and databinding expression

Guest

hey all,
for simplicity's sake i have a single textbox inside a user control. once i
drag that user control onto my page is there a way to attach a binding
expression to it at runtime?

thanks,
rodchar

Eliyahu Goldin

User control can expose properties. You can make a property that will set
the binding expression. Is it what you are after?

Guest

yes, i've exposed public properties in a user control but which one do i
expose in this case. i couldn't find the DataBindings.Add for the textbox in
my user control (with the context of being in the user control designer).

i guess what i'm asking is what public property do i expose on the user
control and how do i set it?

thanks,
rodchar

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant

rodchar said:
hey all,
for simplicity's sake i have a single textbox inside a user control. once
drag that user control onto my page is there a way to attach a binding
expression to it at runtime?

thanks,
rodchar

Eliyahu Goldin

Something like this?

public string TextBinding
{
set
{
myText.Text = value;
myText.DataBind();

rodchar said:
hey all,
for simplicity's sake i have a single textbox inside a user control.
once
drag that user control onto my page is there a way to attach a binding
expression to it at runtime?

thanks,
rodchar

Guest

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong:

<uc1:webusercontrol id="WebUserControl1" runat="server" uctextbox='<%#
"GetTime()" %>'></uc1:webusercontrol>

defined on the .aspx:
Public Function GetTime() As String
Return DateTime.Now.ToString("T")
End Function

defined on the control page:
Public Property UcTextBox() As String
Get
Return Me.TextBox1.Text
End Get
Set(ByVal value As String)
Me.TextBox1.Text = value
End Set
End Property

And the result is that nothing shows up in the textbox.

Eliyahu Goldin said:
Something like this?

public string TextBinding
{
set
{

Eliyahu Goldin said:
User control can expose properties. You can make a property that will set
the binding expression. Is it what you are after?

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

hey all,
for simplicity's sake i have a single textbox inside a user control.
once
drag that user control onto my page is there a way to attach a binding
expression to it at runtime?

thanks,
rodchar

Eliyahu Goldin

call DataBind()

--

rodchar said:
I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong:

<uc1:webusercontrol id="WebUserControl1" runat="server" uctextbox='<%#
"GetTime()" %>'></uc1:webusercontrol>

defined on the .aspx:
Public Function GetTime() As String
Return DateTime.Now.ToString("T")
End Function

defined on the control page:
Public Property UcTextBox() As String
Get
Return Me.TextBox1.Text
End Get
Set(ByVal value As String)
Me.TextBox1.Text = value
End Set
End Property

And the result is that nothing shows up in the textbox.

Eliyahu Goldin said:
Something like this?

public string TextBinding
{
set
{

:

User control can expose properties. You can make a property that will
set
the binding expression. Is it what you are after?

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

hey all,
for simplicity's sake i have a single textbox inside a user control.
once
drag that user control onto my page is there a way to attach a
binding
expression to it at runtime?

thanks,
rodchar

Guest

sorry for just not getting it, but where do i from? (control page in the
properties, on on the .aspx page) i tried in both places and i'm not getting
anything?

Eliyahu Goldin said:
call DataBind()

--

rodchar said:
I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong:

<uc1:webusercontrol id="WebUserControl1" runat="server" uctextbox='<%#
"GetTime()" %>'></uc1:webusercontrol>

defined on the .aspx:
Public Function GetTime() As String
Return DateTime.Now.ToString("T")
End Function

defined on the control page:
Public Property UcTextBox() As String
Get
Return Me.TextBox1.Text
End Get
Set(ByVal value As String)
Me.TextBox1.Text = value
End Set
End Property

And the result is that nothing shows up in the textbox.

Eliyahu Goldin said:
Something like this?

public string TextBinding
{
set
{
[...]

ok i tried the databinding with a real datasource instead of the function and
it worked. out of curiosity, is the function suppose to work and maybe my
declaring syntax is incorrect?

rodchar said:
sorry for just not getting it, but where do i from? (control page in the
properties, on on the .aspx page) i tried in both places and i'm not getting
anything?

Eliyahu Goldin said:
call DataBind()