User Control definitions

tshad

User VS 2003, I would like to use User Controls to control the page look
with 3 User Controls (...PageTop.ascx, ...NavigateTop.ascx and
PageBottom.ascx). I would put the Content User control between the
NavigateTop and PageBottom User controls.

These files be something like: sdhcPageTop.ascx, ft2PageTop.ascx,
sbPageTop.ascx, macPageTop.ascx etc. I would have the same files for the
NavigateTop.ascx and PageBottom.asc.

The ones that load is dependant on who is logging on.

I have a file that really does nothing but load the controls.

I have 2 problems I have run into.

1) I would like to put the <body> tag into the PageTop.ascx file as that
will change dependant on who logs on. For example, if I am loading the
"sdhc..." files, I would have a different body tag than if I loaded the
"ft2..." files.

The problem is that if the </body> is not in the same .ascx file, I get an
error saying:

Unexpected end of file looking for </body> tag.

So I now have it in my main page.

Is there a way around this?

2) The other problem is that I would like to load the 4 different User
controls dependant on who logs on:

The file looks something like:

<%@ Page Language="VB" trace="false" debug="true" ContentType="text/html"
ResponseEncoding="iso-8859-1" %>
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<%@ Register TagPrefix="fts" TagName="Logon" Src="../applicant/logon.ascx"
%>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="fts" TagName="Top" Src="sdhcPageTop.ascx" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="fts" TagName="Navigate" Src="sdhcNavigateTop.ascx"
%>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="fts" TagName="Bottom" Src="sdhcPageBottom.ascx" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="fts" TagName="Top" Src="ft2PageTop.ascx" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="fts" TagName="Navigate" Src="ft2NavigateTop.ascx" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="fts" TagName="Bottom" Src="ft2PageBottom.ascx" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="fts" TagName="Top" Src="sbPageTop.ascx" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="fts" TagName="Navigate" Src="sbNavigateTop.ascx" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="fts" TagName="Bottom" Src="sbPageBottom.ascx" %>
<head>
<title>:: Staffing Workshop ::</title>
background="/images/sdhc/sdhcgiwave11.gif" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0"
marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" link="#006699" vlink="#660033"
alink="#CC9966" runat="server">
<form id="addForm" runat="server">
<fts:Top runat="Server"/>
<fts:Navigate runat="Server"/>
<fts:Logon runat="Server"/>
<fts:Bottom runat="Server"/>
</form>

I know this won't work, but I am just illustrating what I am trying to
achieve

All my pages would look the same except that first Custom Control would be
different (this is the content control). One for logon, one for searchlist,
one for adding new people etc.

How do I handle the loading of the different Controls programmatically and
do I need to define each file in this page?

I would like not to have to define each set of 3 controls on each page.
That would mean that everytime a new user came up, I would have to add 3 new
controls to each page.

With include files, it would work fine, but I would like to use User
Controls instead.

Thanks,

Tom

Nathan Sokalski

I think that you are using the wrong approach for this. I would suggest that
rather than making a version of each control for each browser, you add code
in the Controls' Code-Behind files that detects which browser the code is
being generated for and makes the appropriate adjustments. I think that this
will simplify things for you, because it will mean fewer files and
modifications when you add/remove content.

tshad

I don't understand what the browser has to do with it.

What this is doing is creating a different look for each company, using
their graphics some of their buttons etc.

Most of the page would look like the clients site, except that the bottom
right would be our stuff.

In essence the, the top and left would be the clients look and feel and the
right bottom would be our content. It would be a self contained User
Control that had all our Textboxes, labels, DataGrids etc.

This would be similar to what 2005 is doing with it's Master Pages. But I
need to do it with 2003.

Thanks,

Tom