User control not seen on code beside (behind) page

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by petro, Sep 22, 2006.

  1. petro

    petro Guest

    Can someone shed some light on how to get this user control to work?
    I created a simple user control with several properties (I want to access
    these properties server side on another web form (a web control consumer
    page)). Then I drug the user control on to the web form where I wanted to
    use it. In the design view I see the web control on the web form and I can
    also access it's properties on the client side. But when I try to get to the
    control from the code beside page (ie. UserControlConsumerPage.cs) I do not
    see a reference to the control in intellisense. Here is my user control code
    from the UserControl.ascx:

    <%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true"
    CodeFile="ContractInfo.ascx.cs" Inherits="ContractInfo" %>
    Contact Information</td>
    Contract #</td>
    <asp:Label ID="lblContract" runat="server" Text="Label"
    Width="378px"></asp:Label></td>
    Agency</td>
    <asp:Label ID="lblAgency" runat="server" Text="Label"
    Width="378px"></asp:Label></td>
    Program</td>
    <asp:Label ID="lblProgram" runat="server" Text="Label"
    Width="378px"></asp:Label></td>
    Report Quarter</td>
    <asp:Label ID="lblReportQuarter" runat="server" Text="Label"
    Width="378px"></asp:Label></td>

    HERE IS the code from the UserControl.cs

    using System;
    using System.Data;
    using System.Configuration;
    using System.Collections;
    using System.Web;
    using System.Web.Security;
    using System.Web.UI;
    using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
    using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;

    public partial class ContractInfo : System.Web.UI.UserControl
    if (!this.lblReportQuarter.Visible)
    Response.Write("<script type='text/javascript'>var varRQ =
    '';</script>");
    }

    public string Contract
    {
    get
    {
    return this.lblContract.Text;
    }
    set
    {
    this.lblContract.Text = Server.HtmlEncode(value);

    public string Agency
    {
    get
    {
    return this.lblAgency.Text;
    }
    set
    {
    this.lblAgency.Text = Server.HtmlEncode(value);

    public string Program
    {
    get
    {
    return this.lblProgram.Text;
    }
    set
    {
    this.lblProgram.Text = Server.HtmlEncode(value);

    public string ReportQuarter
    {
    get
    {
    return this.lblReportQuarter.Text;
    }
    set
    {
    this.lblReportQuarter.Text = Server.HtmlEncode(value);

    public Boolean ReportQuarterVisible
    {
    set
    {
    this.lblReportQuarter.Visible = value;

    THIS IS the code from the UserControlConsumerPage.ascx that I want to use
    the control:

    <%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/pmAgency/masAgency.master"
    AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="wfNarrative.aspx.cs" Inherits="wfNarrative"
    Title="Untitled Page" %>

    <%@ Register Src="../ContractInfo.ascx" TagName="ContractInfo"
    TagPrefix="uc1" %>

    <asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1"
    Runat="Server">

    <asp:panel ID="pnlNarr" runat="server" Height="459px" Width="801px"
    style="z-index: 100; left: 152px; position: absolute; top: 67px"
    BackColor="White">

    <uc1:ContractInfo ID="ContractInfo1" runat="server" />

    petro, Sep 22, 2006

  2. petro

    petro Guest

    I found the problem. It was not with the user control at all. I had copied
    and pasted the page dcirective from one page to other pages and did not
    change the codefile and inherits references. Once I fixed that the user
    control worked as expected. Thanks for your reply.

    petro, Sep 25, 2006