User Control properties

Netvision Mail

Hi all,
I'm a total newbie, so this might be stupid...
Anyway, I've created an expanding tree of categories control, based on
DataList.
It works almost fine, but I can't make it return the value of the last
category clicked.
To be more specific, it does return it, but only the second time I click the
category.
For example, if I click category 5 and then 8, it shows 5 and clicking later
on 3 shows 8.

It goes like this:

..
..
..
public property CategoryID
Get
if(ViewState("CurrentCategory") = Nothing)
CategoryID = 1
else
CategoryID = ViewState("CurrentCategory").ToString
end if
End Get
Set

ViewState("CurrentCategory") = value
End Set
end property

..
..
..

sub CategoriesDataList_ItemCommand(sender As Object, e as
DataListCommandEventArgs)
CategoryID = e.CommandArgument
CategoriesDataList.DataSource = GetCategoriesTree(e.CommandArgument)
DataBind
CategoriesDataList.SelectedIndex = e.Item.ItemIndex
End Sub

The real big problem, as much as I could figure it out is that the
CategoriesDataList_ItemCommand event is processed AFTER the Page_Load event
of the parent page is. So, when i write something like

[assume CategoriesTree is a CategoriesDataList control]

msg.Text = CategoriesTree.CategoryID

in the parent page, the value shown in msg is the old one (taken from
ViewState bag).

Thanks for any help,
Igor.

Victor Garcia Aprea

Please see my response to your last post "Events Handling Order"

--
Victor Garcia Aprea
Microsoft MVP | ASP.NET