User Controls, Google SEO & spiders

Guest

Hi all,

I am wondering how the search engine spiders like Google's or Yahoo's
handles your asp.net web page if it is built with Web User Controls?

Most of our web site is built with web user controls and we have big
problems to get it up on some search engines (especially Google) - even if we
have been up on the Internet for more than 4 months. I know the discussion
about spiders & frames and it seems like there might be a problem with web
user controls as well.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks
Thomas

bruce barker

if you want search engines to crawl your site, be sure to allow navigation
without postbacks or javascript, as the search engines will not be able to
do the postbacks (send a valid viewstate).

this means you should use real anchors or hypelinks for site nav, not
linkbuttons or grids which require both javascript and postbacks to work.

most seach engines will send a user agent that identifies them, so you can
customize the page to be search engine friendly.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Guest

Hi Bruce,

Yes - most of our navigation links are based on pure HTML (no Javascript or
Postbacks). But the problem is that this navigation HTML resides in different
web user controls (example: my main menu is a web user control) which means
that it is dynamicly created when the user visits the pages, and I am afraid
that these web controls is not rendered out to the search engine spiders.

Anyone who knows about this?
Thomas