User Controls - Is there a max per web form?

Dblood

First, I have beaten my head against a wall trying to get dynamically
loaded controls to fire events, so unless you have a complete working
example please don't spend a lot of time responding to that part of the
post.

All my controls are static, but I need them to appear on the same
webform for other reasons. If I add all my controls (about 20) to the
form at design-time, I could then (instead of dynamically loading and
unloading) affect visibility of the controls to turn off all but the
current control.

My questions are:
1. Is this even an "acceptable" solution in the eyes of ASP.NET gurus?
2. Is there a maximum number of user controls allowed on a given web
form?
3. I know that the page will load more slowly, but is there a benchmark
of acceptable vs unacceptable with respect to TOTAL size? I'm asking
from an ASP.NET performance standpoint rather than as a function of
bandwidth.
4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Danny