User decision to trust applet cached/stored

jamroe

I have a java applet embedded into a web page. When the applet loads,
the visitor is shown the security warning box (This application's
digital signature has been verified. Do you want to run this
application?) to which they can choose 'Run' or 'Cancel'.

I check whether the applet loaded using JavaScript (applet.isActive).
If the applet is not active and java is available
(navigator.javaEnabled) I show a message telling the user they must
allow the applet to run in order to use this page. I want to offer the
user a link in this message 'Try Again' which will try to load the
applet again, but everything I have tried to get the security box to
be shown again fails.

Even hard refreshing the browser (both IE and Firebox) does not result
in the visitor being asked whether they want to run the application
again - the original 'Cancel' decision is always remembered. The only
way to get the security box to be shown again is to close and re-open
the browser and if the 'always trust code from this publisher' was
checked as it is by default, the temporary internet files in java have
to be cleared too. This is obviously not user friendly.

Is there a way to cause the site visitor to be asked if they want to
run the application upon loading the applet, regardless of their
previous decision?

Andrew Thompson

On Mar 11, 10:50 pm, (e-mail address removed) wrote:
Is there a way to cause the site visitor to be asked if they want to
run the application upon loading the applet, regardless of their
previous decision?

Launch it using web start.
<http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>
(JWS uses a slightly different question/response
action mode than applets - but it will work reliably)

Andrew T.