Jose Cuthberto

WRAPPER CODE FOR A SET OF HTML FILES, AND BUTTON BAR LOOKS LIKE BELOW:

|< < [1 of 7] <> > >| => <= O' (magnifying glass for small gif text)

I have a number of isolated html files for a 1000 page html document.
The .htm files have associated gifs, anchors, using NAME and HREF attributes.
The htmls are all flat, ie in the same directory but they are named
like chapsec_subsec_page.htm, specifically, a1_1_page_20.htm.
The gifs are in a separate directory, and addressed relatively.

The htmls have internal cross references using anchors mentioned above.

But there are no links or buttons to move from page to page,
to the end of section, forward or backward, etc.

|< < [1 of 7] <> > >| => <= O' (magnifying glass for small gif text)

something like the above, or as many features. These features i have
seen in some other html sites.

I would like to write some kind of wrapper javascript to enable this
functionality, if possible, so that i have to do minimal changes to
the actual htmls.

Secondly, can someone give me precise meanings of the buttons and the
bars in the button bars above? One would also want such a button
bar at the bottom of the page.

I would also want to find out how to convert this multi page html
directory which is essentially flat, into a single file. The copying
takes a lot of time due to bits.

Can the htmls also be turned into a single chm type file that has all
the gifs included? and can this be returned back? if it cannot be
returned back, is there a simple script that can convert htmls into
chm with a single click so that it can be distributed in this form
for covenience of users to convert if they want?

I know these are many questions. I hope several people can attack
various aspects of it that they are most familiar with. The questions
are really in the order of most important being first.

---
What help do i need?
I suppose one can write a html list and sublist with anchors
in them. but that is not professional, and is only the first
page.

I know C. I used to know java and C++. totally forgotten.
but i remember the overloaded + used to write string concatenation.
I know the loops are similar. If someone gives me a skeleton
in javascript, i can sure customize it.

Thats what I would probably need.

jose

John Bokma

(e-mail address removed) (Jose Cuthberto) wrote in
What help do i need?
I suppose one can write a html list and sublist with anchors
in them. but that is not professional, and is only the first
page.

Professional often costs money.
I know C. I used to know java and C++. totally forgotten.

Amazing. That is like saying I forgot how to walk, talk, and swim.
but i remember the overloaded + used to write string concatenation.
I know the loops are similar. If someone gives me a skeleton
in javascript, i can sure customize it.

Thats what I would probably need.

Got Paypal too? :-D. I can do what you want, and fast. (Though not in
JavaScript). mail at johnbokma dot com.

Jose Cuthberto

John Bokma said:
Professional often costs money.

Got Paypal too? :-D. I can do what you want, and fast. (Though not in
JavaScript). mail at johnbokma dot com.

Hate to prick your bubble:

I am reading a javascript book.
I can also surf web sites with javascript based button solutions and
try to read the code myself. Then rewrite it according to my preferences.

However, in this endeavor, if there are any kind souls willing to help
do not hesitate. We are into sharing knowledge and information.

javascript is an object based language. I already finished writing a
F<->C page, with hidden variables. functions, window.open,
window.close, document.open, document.write, document.close etc.

I can pick it pretty fast. Javascript reads almost like english, if
you know C and html. and know sth about objects, methods, even handlers etc.

The old used book cost me $10 only and bought 4y ago. it has all the
basics, html, java, javascript, perl, vbasic, activeX etc.
both intro examples, getting started and reference sections.

so any kind soul willing to share info is welcome

jose

Martin Jay

Hate to prick your bubble:
I am reading a javascript book.
[Snip]

javascript is an object based language. I already finished writing a
F<->C page, with hidden variables. functions, window.open,
window.close, document.open, document.write, document.close etc.

Isn't that usually the second example given in such books, after the
'hello world' script? :)

I think you'd be better off using server side scripting, such as Perl or
PHP, to achieve what you want.

[Follow-up change to alt.html and comp.lang.javascript]

John Bokma

(e-mail address removed) (Jose Cuthberto) wrote in
Hate to prick your bubble:

I am reading a javascript book.

You will not find what you want there, I guess / am afraid.
I can also surf web sites with javascript based button solutions and
try to read the code myself. Then rewrite it according to my
preferences.

Which will take you a big deal of time, and frustration. You will
discover that it's not going to work, or not as easy.
However, in this endeavor, if there are any kind souls willing to help
do not hesitate. We are into sharing knowledge and information.

Sure, that's what I always say when I shop :-D.
javascript is an object based language. I already finished writing a
F<->C page,

Amazing :-D.
with hidden variables. functions, window.open,
window.close, document.open, document.write, document.close etc.

I can pick it pretty fast. Javascript reads almost like english, if
you know C and html. and know sth about objects, methods, even
handlers etc.

The old used book cost me $10 only and bought 4y ago.

Then it's severly out dated :-D.
it has all the
basics, html, java, javascript, perl, vbasic, activeX etc.
both intro examples, getting started and reference sections.

Ah, an Unleashed book, or some equally crappy book? Good luck then.
so any kind soul willing to share info is welcome

I, if you share some info using PayPal ;-)

You either do it yourself or pay for it. That's how it works. Usenet is
not a free help desk.

John Bokma

I think you'd be better off using server side scripting, such as Perl or
PHP, to achieve what you want.

Perl, to do the transformation once. But the OP is looking for a free ride.
TANSTAAFL

Philipp Reichmuth

John said:
You will not find what you want there, I guess / am afraid.

.... / hope?
Amazing :-D.

Do you really believe anyone in a sane mind would want a business
relationship with a partner of your attitude?
I, if you share some info using PayPal ;-)

You either do it yourself or pay for it. That's how it works. Usenet is
not a free help desk.

Usenet is not an advertising arena for your own commercial services
either. It's a place where you can share information for free,
according to certain community rules. As such, it's more of a help desk.

If you know the solution to a poster's problem, you can either help him
out or keep silent. This "I have a solution for you, but it'll cost you
a few bucks, otherwise I'm not telling" attitude of yours is definitely
not what Usenet is about.

Philipp
(f'up2 comp.lang.javascript)