User Interface Designer for GTK+ and GNOME

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Felipe Ureta, Aug 18, 2006.

  1. Felipe Ureta

    Felipe Ureta Guest

    Hello,
    I'm posting here since I cannot do it in the Ruby-Gnome 2 forum.
    I'm new to ruby and ruby-Gnome2.I've written a small script for
    extracting table names from a trace file from Microsoft Analizer. I
    decided I wanted to learn how to do GUI's so at first I coded from
    scratch a GUI but soon I got tired of doing it by hand. Then I
    downloaded Glade and used it to make a gui pretty fast, but if I wan't
    to modify the gui for any reasons I suspect that the
    ruby-glade-create-template.rb will create a new file and I'll have to
    move my code from one file to another. So here is the question, is there
    an alternative to Glade for designing UI's?

    btw, english is not my first language. sorry if I did not make myself
    clear. :)

    Greetings,
    Felipe

    Felipe Ureta, Aug 18, 2006

  2. Felipe Ureta wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I'm posting here since I cannot do it in the Ruby-Gnome 2 forum.
    > I'm new to ruby and ruby-Gnome2.I've written a small script for
    > extracting table names from a trace file from Microsoft Analizer. I
    > decided I wanted to learn how to do GUI's so at first I coded from
    > scratch a GUI but soon I got tired of doing it by hand. Then I
    > downloaded Glade and used it to make a gui pretty fast, but if I wan't
    > to modify the gui for any reasons I suspect that the
    > ruby-glade-create-template.rb will create a new file and I'll have to
    > move my code from one file to another. So here is the question, is there
    > an alternative to Glade for designing UI's?
    >
    > btw, english is not my first language. sorry if I did not make myself
    > clear. :)
    >
    > Greetings,
    > Felipe

    The idea behind glade is that you keep the interface separate from the
    code. The ruby-glade-create-template.rb script creates a decent
    starting point, but from then on you should develop the code and
    interface together rather than generating one from the other. All you
    need to do is add appropriate callbacks to your ruby scripts.
    Timothy Goddard, Aug 19, 2006

  3. Felipe Ureta

    the_crazy88 Guest

    Hi,

    Glade can do anything you want it to and is fast too. If you want to
    dynamiccaly load a table, this is perfectly possible. Just make sure
    that you know the name of the parent widget, for any widgets that you
    will add. Or create an empty table of 1x1 and resize it to required
    length and fill it with childs.

    I did this myself too. For some example code look at the audio ripper I
    develop: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=1284&release_id=6293. The
    file rubyripper_gtk is what you need.
    It loads the playlist dynamically for any cd that is loaded.

    Regards,

    crazy88

    the_crazy88, Aug 20, 2006
  4. Felipe Ureta

    Felipe Ureta Guest

    Thanks for both of your replies. Crazy88, I'll look at the code of your
    audio ripper.

    Regards,
    Felipe

    Felipe Ureta, Aug 21, 2006