    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    TIA,
    yzk
    YZK, Sep 7, 2004

  2. YZK

    YZK Guest

    Hi. Thanks for the quick reply. I had been programming in Java, so I
    don't THINK it's Java that's broken. I usually use Mozilla Firefox
    0.9.3, but occasionally Nescape 7.1, as my browser (with their
    Thunderbird as my mail client), and yes, I do block popup windows, both
    via the browsers and via WebWasher software.

    Any further ideeas? (, anyone?)
    yzk

    YZK, Sep 7, 2004

  3. YZK

    PDannyD Guest

    "YZK" <> wrote in message
    > Hello. I'm not a Web developer, just a user, and I think I may have
    > somehow messed myself up majorly. I'm not quite sure how. Right now,
    > javascript used by websites I go to either does not work at all, or
    > works sporadically. I'm talking about things like Hotmail, Yahoo
    > Address Book, buttons on various sites, etc.. I'm a computer person,
    > but not a Web OR Javascript person.

    Have you accidentally disabled scripts in the security settings?
    Do you have any anti-virus/firewall software that blocks scripts?
    PDannyD, Sep 7, 2004
  4. YZK

    YZK Guest

    Both my browsers have scripts (including Javascript) enabled, and I
    don't believe ZoneAlert (Alarm?) blocks any scripts. Thanks.
    yzk

    YZK, Sep 7, 2004
  5. YZK

    YZK Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:02:15 -0400, YZK wrote:
    >
    > Please do not top-post, you generally
    > miss important things, and it makes the
    > conversation very confusing..
    > <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#netiquette>
    >
    > ** See further comments in-line. **
    >

    >>Andrew Thompson wrote:

    >>>Are you *sure* this is Javascript and not Java?

    >>Hi. Thanks for the quick reply. I had been programming in Java, so I
    >>don't THINK it's Java that's broken.

    > You do not seem that sure, so.. *
    >

    >>>In either case I think it is probably
    >>>unnecessary to reload the system.. I
    >>>take it that your reference to Win98
    >>>means you are using the OS component
    >>>to browse?
    >>>
    >>>In that case, the easiest fix is probably
    >>>to download a browser. Mozilla/Netscape
    >>>or Opera are great browsers. ..More
    >>>secure than IE as well.

    > ..
    >
    >>..I usually use Mozilla Firefox
    >>0.9.3, but occasionally Nescape 7.1, as my browser (with their
    >>Thunderbird as my mail client),

    > Moz. 1.3
    > Edit | Preferences | Advanced Script and Plugins |
    > (Enable JavaScript for - Navigator)
    >
    > Is your NN/Moz. prefs set to true?
    >

    >>>Also, quick check, have you installed any
    >>>pop-up blockers recently? The Google toolbar?

    > ..
    >
    >>...and yes, I do block popup windows, both
    >>via the browsers and via WebWasher software.

    > That could be the source of it, I have
    > a page that will check allow you to check
    > whether Java pop-ups are enabled, but
    > not specifically Javascript.. but.. **
    >

    >>Any further ideeas? (, anyone?)

    > * GIVE US SOMETHING CONCRETE..
    >

    >>>Give some specifific URL's and I can check them.

    > We have not even heard what the actual problem
    > is ..you said it 'does not work at all' which
    > is a bit too vague to go on.
    >
    > Both Java and Javascript have output consoles,
    > have you checked them for errors?
    >
    > ** You mention you have pop-up blockers but do
    > not rule out that it is only a problem with
    > things that pop-up.
    >
    > So, I suggest (as I did before) that you provide
    > some specific URL's, 'cos getting useful
    > information from you is akin to pulling teeth.

    OK, here's "something" from my Javascript console:

    Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure
    code: 0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH)
    [nsILocalFile.initWithPath]" nsresult: "0x80520001
    (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH)" location: "JS frame ::
    chrome://browser/content/search.xml :: initialize :: line 31" data: no]

    I don't know if is "the big enchilada," nor do I know just what caused
    it, but perhaps it's a start. I don't even see how to display a Java
    console. Clicking Mozilla Firefox Help, then Help Contents, and
    Search-ing for "Java" yields only "JavaScript Console."

    As far as something "a little less vague," EVERY TIME I try to click on
    a link or button (JButton, perhaps) that is underpinned by Javascript
    code, I see "Javascript <whatever>" and NOTHING HAPPENS. It's like a GUI
    without event handlers!

    Attempting to listen to online radio station KSJB AM, at URL
    http://www.warpradio.com/popTuner.asp?id=7516, I try pushing the labeled
    button (Label: Streaming Audio) Click Here to Listen, and see
    "javascript
    void(window.open('tuner.asp?id=7516&page=popTuner','popup','toolbar=no,location=no,scrollbars=yes,stat..."
    and NOTHING HAPPENS.

    For Yahoo Address Book from within Yahoo Messenger, I get "An error has
    occurred in the script on this page : Line 2, Character 2, Expected '\',
    Code 0, URL http://address.yahoo.com/yab?v=MT&a0=<my Yahoo ID>, and the
    question "Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?".
    Continuing on to an entry in the Address book, I get the same error as
    above, with URL
    http://address.yahoo.com/yab/us?.rand=1004328337&v=MT&A=t&id=80&stC=All&stP=1&stP2=1&stT=v&stI=0&stA=0&a0=<my
    Yahoo ID>, and the same question. Attempting to delete the entry gives
    me the same error, with URL
    http://address.yahoo.com/yab/us?.rand=431595127&v=MT&id=80&A=f&DEL&a0=<my
    Yahoo ID>&stC=All&stP=1&stP2=1&stT=v&stI=0&stA=0
    Nothing gets deleted.

    From within Yahoo Address Book (NOT going thru Messenger) I attempt to
    delete an entry. My JavaScript Console shows:

    Error: syntax error
    Source File:
    http://us.js1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/pim/r/medici/5n_c/mail/mailcommonlib.js
    Line: 91, Column: 37
    Source Code:
    else o.parentNode.appendChild(node)

    Error: ylib_keyevt is not defined
    Source File: http://us.f505.mail.yahoo.com/ym/login?.rand=20bsmri1u0npl
    Line: 144

    Error: Tabs_Init is not defined
    Source File: http://us.f505.mail.yahoo.com/ym/login?.rand=20bsmri1u0npl
    Line: 158

    Error: syntax error
    Source File:
    http://us.js1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/pim/r/medici/5n_c/mail/mailcommonlib.js
    Line: 91, Column: 37
    Source Code:
    else o.parentNode.appendChild(node)

    Error: missing } in compound statement
    Source File:
    http://yahoo.serving-sys.com/yahoo.eyeblaster.com/PL_yahoo/BigScripts/BrowserCheck_56_4.js
    Line: 134, Column: 16
    Source Code:
    fIsCompat = true;

    Error: ylib_keyevt is not defined
    Source File:
    http://us.f505.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowFolder?YY=79992&box=@B@Bulk&YN=1
    Line: 317

    Error: LHCol_Init is not defined
    Source File:
    http://us.f505.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowFolder?YY=79992&box=@B@Bulk&YN=1
    Line: 810

    Error: Tabs_Init is not defined
    Source File:
    http://us.f505.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowFolder?YY=79992&box=@B@Bulk&YN=1
    Line: 331

    Error: syntax error
    Source File:
    http://us.js1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/pim/r/medici/5n_c/mail/mailcommonlib.js
    Line: 91, Column: 37
    Source Code:
    else o.parentNode.appendChild(node)

    Error: missing } in compound statement
    Source File:
    http://yahoo.serving-sys.com/yahoo.eyeblaster.com/PL_yahoo/BigScripts/BrowserCheck_56_4.js
    Line: 134, Column: 16
    Source Code:
    fIsCompat = true;

    Error: ylib_keyevt is not defined
    Source File:
    http://us.f505.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Sh...=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=&head=&box=@B@Bulk
    Line: 284

    Error: LHCol_Init is not defined
    Source File:
    http://us.f505.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Sh...=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=&head=&box=@B@Bulk
    Line: 501

    Error: MenuButton is not defined
    Source File:
    http://us.f505.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Sh...=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=&head=&box=@B@Bulk
    Line: 887

    and it repeats ..Tabs_Init, syntax error, missing }, ylib_keyevt,
    LHCol_Init, etc. (same lines)

    It is then followed by

    Error: missing ; after for-loop initializer
    Source File:
    http://us.js1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/pim/r/medici/6_9/abook/abcommonlib.js
    Line: 155, Column: 19
    Source Code:
    for (var i=nStartIn

    Error: yml_hlrow is not defined
    Source File: http://address.yahoo.com/yab/us
    Line: 160

    Error: Tabs_Init is not defined
    Source File: http://address.yahoo.com/yab/us
    Line: 98

    Error: rowObj has no properties

    finally ending up as
    Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure
    code: 0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH)
    [nsILocalFile.initWithPath]" nsresult: "0x80520001
    (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH)" location: "JS frame ::
    chrome://browser/content/search.xml :: initialize :: line 31" data: no]

    Is any of the above helpful in shooting what may be a bug?

    TIA,
    yzk
    YZK, Sep 8, 2004
  6. YZK

    YZK Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:20:00 -0400, YZK wrote:
    >

    >>>** You mention you have pop-up blockers but do
    >>>not rule out that it is only a problem with
    >>>things that pop-up.

    > ..
    >
    >>OK, here's "something" from my Javascript console:

    > Now we're cookin'
    >

    >>I don't know if is "the big enchilada," nor do I know just what caused
    >>it, but perhaps it's a start. I don't even see how to display a Java
    >>console.

    > Forget that for the minute, your
    > output supports that it is JS..
    >
    > ( OK ..like you were saying all along ;-)
    >

    >>..Clicking Mozilla Firefox Help, then Help Contents, and
    >>Search-ing for "Java" yields only "JavaScript Console."

    >>Attempting to listen to online radio station KSJB AM, at URL
    >>http://www.warpradio.com/popTuner.asp?id=7516, I try pushing the labeled
    >>button (Label: Streaming Audio) Click Here to Listen, and see
    >>"javascript
    >>void(window.open('tuner.asp?id=7516&page=popTuner','popup','toolbar=no,location=no,scrollbars=yes,stat..."

    > Uh-huh.. I think the vital part of
    > that is 'popup'..
    >

    >>and NOTHING HAPPENS.

    > It could be one of your pop-up blockers is
    > destroying the, ..what is it a, 'tuner control'
    > or similar, pop up window?
    >
    > If that is the case, any other script that
    > tries to connect to the pop-up window will
    > probably fail.
    >
    > Can you open a 'prefs' screen for your pop-up
    > blockers? Sometimes they offer an 'allow
    > friendly pop-ups by URL' option. If you
    > can let the blocker know that you specifically
    > *do* want the pop-up, they will allow it.

    THANK YOU, Mr. Thompson!!! When I added www.warpradio.com to the list of
    sites for which I DO want to allow popup windows, the KSJB's "Click Here
    to Listen" WORKED!!!!!! I'm going to try the same thing for Yahoo, and
    see if it does anything for me.
    yzk

    P.S. Allowing popups from www.yahoo.com did nothing to clear the errors.
    YZK, Sep 8, 2004