User Profiles and ASP 2.0

Alexandr Zverev

Hello!

I have to create ASP.NET 2.0 role-based portal with following restrictions:
1. MembershipUsers must be stored in Active Directory
2. Role Membership stored in standard ASP 2.0 SQL database
3. Also there is own SQL Server database with table tblPersons, which users
must correlate with ASP users by field PersonID.
4. Some external programs will work with users records, so I must provide
some user management API.
5. We must have possibilities of two way search - search users by their AD
name or by PersonID.
6. Some of portal users may not have Person records associated with them
(depend on role)

First version implement this by adding PersonID in AD user record and
working with this records directly through LDAP. But this is very unsafe and
complex.

So, this is a question:
Have Microsoft some techniques to perform such mappings (for example on
providers level)?
Is there any other recommendations?

And the last question. For example we have Administrator role who like to
edit some user information stored in ASP user profile. How this role could
access other users profiles?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Brock Allen

So, this is a question:
Have Microsoft some techniques to perform such mappings (for example
on
providers level)?
Is there any other recommendations?

That's why the providers are designed the way they are -- it allows for independant
storage of those various bits of data you need, abstracting it behind a provider
API. Sounds like you're going to want the ADMembershipProvider and the SqlServerRoleProvider
for the storage of those two things.
And the last question. For example we have Administrator role who like
to edit some user information stored in ASP user profile. How this
role could access other users profiles?

You can load the Profile of another user by calling Profile.GetProfile("Username").
Check on your page via User.IsInRole("Admin") to see if the user is allowed
to do so.

Alexandr Zverev

Thanks!
I feel that it could be done this way, but I couldn't found APIs, samples
and guides to create own providers.
Could you recommend me any recources?

Regards,
Alex