user roles for downloading files

Vic

I am trying to build a site where users, after signing up for services can
download some software. There is also a trial version of software which
doesn't require any user authentication.

I chose forms-based authentication. My trial download is in the folder,
which is available for all users, while all other downloads are in the
folder that has a web.config file:

<authorization>
<deny users="?" />
</authorization>

This approach seems to work, but now I realized that I also have different
types of downloads, which should be accessable by some users but not the
others. This calls for something like use roles, so I could deny a certain
folder access for one type of users (users with certain role) and not the
others.

How can I achieve this using forms authentication?

I am not sure whether it matters, but I am using FormsAuthentication class.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Vic