UserControl Inheritance

paul

I am having some problems inheriting one user control from another
In my base user control (uc_template) I have a public property that sets the Text property of a Label control
No problem setting the property when putting this control on an .aspx page

Protected WithEvents Uc_template1 As templat
Uc_template1.BodyFooterText= "Something

However, if I create another control(uc_template_member) and inherit from the base control ie

Public MustInherit Class uc_template_membe
Inherits uc_templat

Me.BodyFooterText = "Something

I get the following error
'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I know I must be missing something. Do I need to create new (Override) properties in the sub control

Any help is greatly appreciate

thank
paul