Usercontrol with ajax update panel causes null reference exception.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Wayne,

I cannot seem to reproduce the issue you mentioned on asp.net forum. I've
created following simple WebUserControl and it's working fine on a WebForm:

<%@ Control Language="C#" ClassName="WebUserControl" %>

<script runat="server">

// Label1.Text = DateTime.Now.ToString();
LabelText = DateTime.Now.ToString();
}

public string LabelText
{
get { return Label1.Text; }
set { Label1.Text = value; }
}

</script>

<asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server">
<ContentTemplate>
<asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" Text="Label"></asp:Label>
<asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" OnClick="Button1_Click"
Text="Button" />
</ContentTemplate>
</asp:UpdatePanel>

Please note that I'm not adding a ScriptManager onto the UserControl since
only one ScriptManager instance can exist on a WebForm; therefore the
ScriptManager will always be added to the WebForm.

I've also tried to use a MasterPage and still not able to reproduce it.

Would you please post a complete code listing that could reproduce the
issue? Thanks.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Wayne,

Since a web page can contain only one ScriptManager control (either
directly on the page itself or indirectly inside a nested or parent
component), you can use ScriptManagerProxy
(http://ajax.asp.net/docs/mref/T_System_Web_UI_ScriptManagerProxy.aspx)
when you're using UpdatePanel on a content page or a web user control.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support