UserControls in a different directory

Nathan Sokalski

I have my UserControls in a subdirectory called usercontrols. In the code
for one of my UserControls I have the following:

Public Property adimage() As String
Get
Return lnkAdvertisement.ImageUrl
End Get
Set(ByVal value As String)
Response.Write(Me.Page.ResolveClientUrl(value) & "<br/>" &
ControlChars.NewLine)
lnkAdvertisement.ImageUrl = Me.Page.ResolveClientUrl(value)
System.Diagnostics.Debug.Write(Me.Page.ResolveClientUrl(value))
End Set
End Property

In the Page that uses this UserControl I pass it the value
"images/bannerad.jpg". However, when I open the page, the Response.Write()
and Debug.Write() lines both output 'images/bannerad.jpg' but the value that
gets assigned to lnkAdvertisement.ImageUrl is
'usercontrols/images/bannerad.jpg'. Why is a different value being returned
by Me.Page.ResolveClientUrl(value)? My main goal is to make the paths I pass
when using the UserControl to be treated as relative to the path of the Page
containing the UserControl, not the path of the UserControl. What should I
do? Thanks.

Gaurav Vaish \(www.EduJiniOnline.com\)

In the Page that uses this UserControl I pass it the value
"images/bannerad.jpg". However, when I open the page, the Response.Write()
gets assigned to lnkAdvertisement.ImageUrl is
'usercontrols/images/bannerad.jpg'. Why is a different value being
returned

Probably because your page is within a folder 'usercontrols' related to the
application-root.
Prefer using the form "~/images/bannerad.jpg" instead.

--
Happy Hacking,
Gaurav Vaish | http://www.mastergaurav.com

Nathan Sokalski

Is there a way to get the directory that the Page using the control is in?
For example, if my Page was located at

http://localhost/home/extrapages/misc/mypage.aspx

it would return

http://localhost/home/extrapages/misc/

I need to be able to enter URLs relative to a page regardless of what
directory the page is in, and throwing the ~/ in front of the relative
directory only works if the page is located in the application root. Any
ideas? Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
(e-mail address removed)