    What is the .NET alternative to this??

    Thanks!
    /Ole

    Ole Hanson, Nov 4, 2004

  2. Ole Hanson wrote:
    > I have been wondering what did happen to the "universal" solution of being
    > able to use the exact same controls in both web and win? These guys are
    > called ActiveX controls and could in the old world (COM) be developed once
    > and then applied in both scenarios!
    >
    > What is the .NET alternative to this??

    Ole, you can host a .NET control in a Web application, but the client
    must have the .NET Framework installed and be using Internet Explorer
    5.01+. There's an article discussing how to host .NET controls in a Web
    environment at:

    Hosting a Windows Control in a Web Form

    hth, and Happy Programming!

    --

    Scott Mitchell

    http://www.4GuysFromRolla.com

    Scott Mitchell [MVP], Nov 4, 2004

  3. Ole,

    The alternative is to embed a .NET windows control into IE. However,
    this isn't the preferred way of doing this kind of work anymore, because you
    really don't gain anything from embedding what is effectively a windows form
    in the browser.

    Rather, what you should consider is using a "Smart Client" where you can
    download the exe from the internet (and run it, it won't require
    installation, or minimal installation), which then makes all the calls it
    needs through a set of web services.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    - Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
    -

    Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP], Nov 4, 2004
  4. An example of a vector graphics UI implemented as a .NET UserControl, shown
    in Internet Explorer:

    http://weblogs.asp.net/frank_hileman/archive/2004/07/23/192509.aspx

    Notice it runs with the default permissions, in a secure sandbox.

    Regards,
    Frank Hileman

    check out VG.net: www.vgdotnet.com
    Animated vector graphics system
    Integrated Visual Studio .NET graphics editor

    Frank Hileman, Nov 4, 2004
  5. > I have been wondering what did happen to the "universal" solution of being
    > able to use the exact same controls in both web and win?

    What happened? it was a good idea. but that's all it was. we need a few more
    years before that good idea can be translated into a portable, scalable
    solution that makes sense in enterprise software.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Nov 5, 2004