Usig Credit Card Reader

Jerry Camel

I'm writing and ASP.net app using vb .net. I need to interact with a credit
card reader. I have one that sits inline with the keyboard. Works great,
except for the fact that no matter what field the user is in on the
transaction page (Name, Address, Credit Card number) the reader will dump
the data at the cursor. So, if the user is in the name field and they
happen to swipe the card, that's where the info goes.

has anyone worked with this type of thing before? Is there a way to disable
the card reader or detect that the info is coming from the reader? So I can
only enable it when the user is in the proper field, or move the data to the
proper field when it's detected... Thanks.

Guest

That device is known as a wedge device. It just sends the characters in like
keyboard entry. You will have to look at the input string to determine if
they are putting the information in the wrong field. You might use Jscript
to look at the information which will have the special characters for credit
cards in the string.

Lau Lei Cheong

Credit card readers, like barcode scanners, act as keyboard on the web page.

So it isn't going to be easy, unless you want to forbid the user from
entering numbers on the other fields.
(If this is the case, you can set up event handler for listening keyboard
event, and jump to the credit card
field if it sees a number)

Oh, wait. If your credit card reader is like my barcode reader, that can be
configured to prepend another sequence
of letter in the beginning of returned string at can act as identifier, then
there may be trickly things you can do......