Using 32bit and 64bit gcc

quitebizarre

Hi,
I've got a Solaris machine with 32-bit gcc installed. I need to
compile some programmes with 64-bit Oracle 10g, so I'd like to install
the 64-bit gcc 3.2.1, too. Does anyone know if this is a sensible
thing to do, or should I remove the 32-bit version first before I try
to install the 64-bit version?

Anything else anyone can think of to make this a trouble-free
experience for me would be gratefully received.

As well as posting any replies here, could I also ask people to email
them to (e-mail address removed), please?

Thanks,
Marlon

tim prince

... I'd like to install
the 64-bit gcc 3.2.1, too. ...
Looks more suitable for gcc-help mail list. Sign up at gcc.gnu.org.
As well as posting any replies here, could I also ask people to email
them to (e-mail address removed), please?
All the more reason to start in a more topical place.

CBFalconer

I've got a Solaris machine with 32-bit gcc installed. I need to
compile some programmes with 64-bit Oracle 10g, so I'd like to
install the 64-bit gcc 3.2.1, too. Does anyone know if this is a
sensible thing to do, or should I remove the 32-bit version first
before I try to install the 64-bit version?

Anything else anyone can think of to make this a trouble-free
experience for me would be gratefully received.

gcc is up to 4.2.x version.
As well as posting any replies here, could I also ask people to
email them to (e-mail address removed), please?

No. Too much trouble.

jacob navia

Hi,
I've got a Solaris machine with 32-bit gcc installed. I need to
compile some programmes with 64-bit Oracle 10g, so I'd like to install
the 64-bit gcc 3.2.1, too. Does anyone know if this is a sensible
thing to do, or should I remove the 32-bit version first before I try
to install the 64-bit version?

Anything else anyone can think of to make this a trouble-free
experience for me would be gratefully received.

As well as posting any replies here, could I also ask people to email
them to (e-mail address removed), please?

Thanks,
Marlon

Last time I compiled using gcc in Solaris I *think* there was a
-m64 or similar option within the same executable to generate
a 64 bit mode program. I think you do not have to switch
compilers but just add an option to the compiler flags.

Did you read the documentation?

Keith Thompson

I've got a Solaris machine with 32-bit gcc installed. I need to
compile some programmes with 64-bit Oracle 10g, so I'd like to install
the 64-bit gcc 3.2.1, too. Does anyone know if this is a sensible
thing to do, or should I remove the 32-bit version first before I try
to install the 64-bit version?
[...]

Try comp.unix.solaris or gnu.gcc.help.