Using a Class Library Settings File in ASP.NET 2.0

Ben Dewey

Hey,

I have kind of an architecture question.

I have a dynamic website that is using a Windows Form Backend and a ASP.NET
front end. They are both using C# 2.0. I also have a class library that
contains namespaces for Com.Site and Com.Site.Data.

Com.Site contains my business objects which, for security reasons only
contains a return GetList List<obj>, maybe a Search.

Com.Site.Data Contains a strongly typed dataset for to the database.

The admin WinForm utility Com.Site.SiteManager accesses the DataSet
Directly, and the ASP.Net accesses the Com.Site Business objects.

Is this a good design from an architecture/security purpose?

The Com.Site.Data DataSet uses its native Settings file to access the
Connection String. Is there a way to modify the settings from another
Config file? (ie. [configuration for="Com.Site.Data"] ). I need to set
the connection setting from the WinForm and ASP.Net sides.

I can do some changes to the DataSet.Designer.cs, but I don't want to do
that because, everything I refresh the Dataset it gets overwritten.

Thanks in Advanced
BD

Ignacio Machin \( .NET/ C# MVP \)

Hi,

Ben Dewey said:
Hey,

I have kind of an architecture question.

I have a dynamic website that is using a Windows Form Backend and a
ASP.NET front end.

What you mean with a win form backend?

Is this a good design from an architecture/security purpose?

I'm not very clear yet, where is the dataset located? are you using a
database?

Ben Dewey

By WinForm back end I mean that I am using DataGridViews from a .NET Windows
Form.

I am using a SqlServer 2005 Database.

I have 1 solution with 3 projects

the web project (ASP.NET)
the Business Objects (C#.Net Class Library, with Com.Site, Com.Site.Data,
and Com.Site.DataSet)
the Windows Form Application (Com.Site.SiteManager)

Again, the main issue is trying to get the settings (ie. Connection String)
from the ASP.NET pages to Business objects, which is an external dll