Using a COM component from ASP

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Simon Harvey, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Simon Harvey

    Simon Harvey Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I don't know to much about asp in general, I'm an ASP.net developer, but my
    boss wants me to find out the following:

    Is it possible to use a COM component from ASP. We have a COM component that
    allows us to interact with our bank for e-commerce style functionality. Our
    current site uses ASP and we know need to integrate this COM component in
    order to let us to some fancier stuff, such as on the fly fraud checking for
    credit cards.

    Can someone advise me if ASP can use COM components and what is involved?
    Does anyone know of any good resources such as a tutorial?

    Thanks everyone

    Take care

    Simon

    Simon Harvey, Feb 2, 2004

  2. "Simon Harvey" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I don't know to much about asp in general, I'm an ASP.net developer, but

    my
    > boss wants me to find out the following:
    >
    > Is it possible to use a COM component from ASP. We have a COM component

    that
    > allows us to interact with our bank for e-commerce style functionality.

    Our
    > current site uses ASP and we know need to integrate this COM component in
    > order to let us to some fancier stuff, such as on the fly fraud checking

    for
    > credit cards.
    >
    > Can someone advise me if ASP can use COM components and what is involved?
    > Does anyone know of any good resources such as a tutorial?
    >
    > Thanks everyone
    >
    > Take care
    >
    > Simon

    Yes. Register it with regsvr32, make sure the anonymous user (assuming you
    are using anonymous authentication) has execute privs on it then e.g.:

    set myObj = Server.CreateObject("mycomobjectname.myclass")
    lret = myObj.myfunction (whatever,params,
    you,have,defined,for,myfunction)
    set myObj = Nothing

    --
    John Blessing

    businesses
    http://www.free-helpdesk.com - Completely free help desk software !

    John Blessing, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Simon Harvey

    Guest Guest

    you can access COM from .NET in same way as in generic ASP. just through
    creating an instance with CreateObject.

    Guest, Feb 3, 2004