Using a COM component from ASP

Simon Harvey

Hi everyone,

I don't know to much about asp in general, I'm an ASP.net developer, but my
boss wants me to find out the following:

Is it possible to use a COM component from ASP. We have a COM component that
allows us to interact with our bank for e-commerce style functionality. Our
current site uses ASP and we know need to integrate this COM component in
order to let us to some fancier stuff, such as on the fly fraud checking for
credit cards.

Can someone advise me if ASP can use COM components and what is involved?
Does anyone know of any good resources such as a tutorial?

Thanks everyone

Take care

Simon

John Blessing

Simon Harvey said:
Hi everyone,

I don't know to much about asp in general, I'm an ASP.net developer, but my
boss wants me to find out the following:

Is it possible to use a COM component from ASP. We have a COM component that
allows us to interact with our bank for e-commerce style functionality. Our
current site uses ASP and we know need to integrate this COM component in
order to let us to some fancier stuff, such as on the fly fraud checking for
credit cards.

Can someone advise me if ASP can use COM components and what is involved?
Does anyone know of any good resources such as a tutorial?

Thanks everyone

Take care

Simon

Yes. Register it with regsvr32, make sure the anonymous user (assuming you
are using anonymous authentication) has execute privs on it then e.g.:

set myObj = Server.CreateObject("mycomobjectname.myclass")
lret = myObj.myfunction (whatever,params,
you,have,defined,for,myfunction)
set myObj = Nothing

--
John Blessing

businesses
http://www.free-helpdesk.com - Completely free help desk software !

Guest

you can access COM from .NET in same way as in generic ASP. just through
creating an instance with CreateObject.