Using a connection pool for SQL Server ASP.NET 1.1 Session managem

Guest

Hi!
Is it correct/safe to define a connection pool in the string
"sqlConnectionString" of the "sessionState" section of Web.config?
- The application is developed using AspNet 1.1 in a Windows Server 2003.
- The AspState DB is defined in a Sql Server 2000 DB on another server.

I have added this definition to the Web.config file:

<sessionState
mode="SQLServer"
sqlConnectionString="data source=xxx.xxx.xxx;user
id=xxx;password=xxx;connection reset = true;connection lifetime =
15;enlist=true;min pool size=1;max pool size=200;"
cookieless="false"
timeout="2" />

but, when many users are using the application, sometimes I get this error:
"System.Web.HttpException: Unable to connect to SQL Server session database.
---> System.InvalidOperationException: Timeout expired. The timeout period
elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred
because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached."

Thanks in advance!

Baski

We had the same issue , we increased the max to 999 , then we stop getting
htis error.

Guest

Maybe, when for the state management is used a connection pool, the
connection is not immediately released to the pool by the system:
is there a problem when a connection pool is defined in the string
"sqlConnectionString" of the "sessionState" section of Web.config?

For the connections to the application DB we are using a different DB and a
different connection string. So I think that the our application is using
another connection pool, because every different connection string defines a
different connection pool.

For the application connection to Sql Server we have checked that every time
the connection is correctly opend, closed, disposed by the application code.
But for the session management we can't control when the connection is
released to the pool, because this is automatically done by the system when
the session data are read and written to Sql Server: maybe in these cases is
there a delay in the release of the connection to the pool?
Thanks!
Joe