Using a Forms authentication in a shared hosting environment

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by JEFF, Nov 9, 2007.

  1. JEFF

    JEFF Guest

    I am using a logon control in a shared hosting environment. When I do I get
    the following run time error:

    The SSE Provider did not find the database file specified in the
    connection string. At the configured trust level (below High trust
    level), the SSE provider can not automatically create the database file.

    I know that is because I am using SQL express edition on my development
    machine but I am looking for general advice on using Forms authentication in
    a shared hosting environment. I have never done it and my host is being
    very helpful.

    Here is my default.aspx

    <script runat="server">
    </script>
    <head runat="server">
    <title>Untitled Page</title>
    </head>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    &nbsp;
    <asp:Login ID="Login1" runat="server">
    </asp:Login>
    </form>

    Here is my web.config

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <configuration>
    <appSettings/>
    <connectionStrings/>
    <system.web>
    <compilation debug="false" strict="false" explicit="true" />
    <pages>
    <namespaces>
    <clear />
    <add namespace="System" />
    <add namespace="System.Collections" />
    <add namespace="System.Collections.Specialized" />
    <add namespace="System.Configuration" />
    <add namespace="System.Text" />
    <add namespace="System.Text.RegularExpressions" />
    <add namespace="System.Web" />
    <add namespace="System.Web.Caching" />
    <add namespace="System.Web.SessionState" />
    <add namespace="System.Web.Security" />
    <add namespace="System.Web.Profile" />
    <add namespace="System.Web.UI" />
    <add namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" />
    <add namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts" />
    <add namespace="System.Web.UI.HtmlControls" />
    </namespaces>
    </pages>
    <authentication mode="Forms" />
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

    JEFF, Nov 9, 2007

  2. JEFF

    JEFF Guest

    Best practices for using forms authentication and security in a hosted env (was: Re: Using a Forms authentication in a shared hosting environment)

    Changing title and cross posting as it looks like my original post was to
    the wrong newsgroup. Can anyone point me to some documentation or best
    practices for using Forms authentication in a hosted environment?

    THANKS!
    JEFF

    JEFF, Nov 12, 2007

  3. JEFF

    brians[MCSD] Guest

    RE: Best practices for using forms authentication and security in a ho

    Hello Jeff,

    I am a big fan of the book Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Security, Membership,
    and Role Management. Has alot of good information.

    --
    brians
    http://www.limbertech.com

    brians[MCSD], Nov 12, 2007