Using a high pagerank site

John

Hi,

I am about to take control of a old site with a decent PR, and I am
planning on combining it with an newer site with a lower PR (the site
with the higher PR needs to be disposed of). What is the best way to
"transfer" as much of that PR as possible to the lower ranked site?

Thanks,

John

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, John quothed:
Hi,

I am about to take control of a old site with a decent PR, and I am
planning on combining it with an newer site with a lower PR (the site
with the higher PR needs to be disposed of). What is the best way to
"transfer" as much of that PR as possible to the lower ranked site?

Switch urls.

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [Neredbojias] on Monday 21 November 2005 12:35 \__
With neither quill nor qualm, John quothed:

Switch urls.

Either that (depending on the gap in terms of rank/incoming links) or use a
permanent re-direct with 301 status:

http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E301.html

I should warn you that if the sites are unrelated and ranks are simply
'purchased' and funnelled, then you might gain nothing or even be penalised.

Hope it helps,

Roy

John

Roy said:
__/ [Neredbojias] on Monday 21 November 2005 12:35 \__

With neither quill nor qualm, John quothed:

Switch urls.

Either that (depending on the gap in terms of rank/incoming links) or use a
permanent re-direct with 301 status:

http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E301.html

I should warn you that if the sites are unrelated and ranks are simply
'purchased' and funnelled, then you might gain nothing or even be penalised.

Hope it helps,

Roy

I'll look into that. The old site was for a company selling one product,
and the new site is adding that product to its range and keeping its
existing range as well.

Thanks,

John

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [John] on Monday 21 November 2005 15:03 \__
Roy said:
[...]

Excellent. I suppose it is whitehat case of PageRank channelling. You ought
to have similar content (initially at least) in both sites so that search
engine algorithms do not suspect site purchasing as opposed to a permanent
relocation that is ethically acceptable.

Good luck,

Roy