using a JSP to do a file read

anikkar

Hi,

I am in the learning stages of using JSPs, and i am tryin to write a
utility which will unzip a file on a server (this is because i have had
to much trouble uploading a folder with the unzip'd contents...i.e.
100s of files).

I quickly found that i don't have read permissions:

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: access denied
(java.io.FilePermission / read)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:372)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)
sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor152.invoke(Unknown Source)
org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil$1.run(SecurityUtil.java:239)
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
javax.security.auth.Subject.doAsPrivileged(Subject.java:517)
org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.execute(SecurityUtil.java:266)
org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.doAsPrivilege(SecurityUtil.java:157)

root cause

(java.io.FilePermission / read)
java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:264)
java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:427)
java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:532)

But this doesn't seem to make sense to me, as you would imagine that I
would have read permissions on the server.

Here is the code:

<%@ page import="java.util.Enumeration"%>
<%@ page import="java.io.File"%>
<form action="unzip.jsp" method=post>
<SELECT NAME="File" SIZE=4>
<% File dir = new File("/");
for(File tempFile : dir.listFiles()) { %>
<OPTION><%=tempFile%></OPTION>
<% } %>

</SELECT>
<INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT VALUE=Press>
</form>
<B>Form Content</B><BR>
<TABLE>
<% Enumeration parameters = request.getParameterNames();
while(parameters.hasMoreElements()){
String parameterName = (String)parameters.nextElement();
String parameterValue = request.getParameter(parameterName);
%>
<TR>
<TD><%=parameterName%></TD>
<TD><%=parameterValue%></TD>
</TR>
<% } %>

Shorty

Does the user running the application server have the right to read on
the root ("/") directory on the server ? (I mean based on unix access
rights)

anikkar

Not quite sure what you mean by the user running the application? I ran
another JSP which read the system properties, and it listed that the
user.dir = /, user.home = /root, and user.name = root.

so i tried using File("/root"), but that didn't work either

anikkar

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your suggestion...using the servlet context to get my path
was the trick...my provider never gaver me my path, so i was
accidentally trying to access the root.

thanks again!

Andrew Thompson

thanks for your suggestion...using the servlet context to get my path
was the trick...my provider never gaver me my path, so i was
accidentally trying to access the root.

Cool. I figured you would work it out from the links.

Glad you sorted it. :)