using a local copy of MS SQL database

ll

Hi,
I have copied a MS SQL database to my local machine and am testing it
with ASP pages, locally, on IIS. I have a db connect page that keeps
the current connections for the live database. My question is, as the
local db is named 'local,' is there another name I need to give it and
thus call from the connection page?
Also, when copying a db, are the permissions (username and pass)
copied over with it?

Thanks,
Louis

wualdo

You can use the machine name instead of (local).
About the user name and password is depends how do you copy the db

ll

You can use the machine name instead of (local).
About the user name and password is depends how do you copy the db

I currently export wizard and select 'copy tables and views' from the
source database. Would this carry the username/password settings as
well?
Thanks,
Louis

Bob Barrows [MVP]

ll said:
I currently export wizard and select 'copy tables and views' from the
source database. Would this carry the username/password settings as
well?

I think the wizard has options to copy logins. There may be issues with
orphaned users. This is out-of-scope of this group. You should bring
your questions to a sqlserver group.