Using a web form to send details to an e-mail

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Andrew Williams, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I have just created a web form that should send its
    details to an e-mail address. The problem is that I was
    working on the pretense that CDONTS would suffice my
    needs.

    However, after working with it for a few days (and
    nights), it finally came to my attention that it will
    only send 'To, From, Subject, Body' information and not
    the 20 or so other form fields I need to send.

    Ideally, my form will send a basic formatted e-mail to
    someone. At the very least, it needs to be sent in an
    ordered fashion so that it makes sense to the end user.

    In a nutshell, I have 20 text fields and 6 drop down
    menus on my web form. I need some code to take this
    information and send it to an e-mail address in a
    readable format.

    Can this be done? Can anyone please help me.

    I am using IIS4 on NT Server 4 with Option Pack. I am
    also using Exchange 5.5 for our mail server.

    Regards,

    Andrew Williams, Sep 8, 2003

  2. Andrew Williams

    Ray at Guest

    "Andrew Williams" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just created a web form that should send its
    > details to an e-mail address. The problem is that I was
    > working on the pretense that CDONTS would suffice my
    > needs.

    You're right. Use CDO instead of CDONTS unless you're stuck on an NT 4
    Server.

    > However, after working with it for a few days (and
    > nights), it finally came to my attention that it will
    > only send 'To, From, Subject, Body' information and not
    > the 20 or so other form fields I need to send.

    What else did you expect? (Aside from CC, BCC, which are included, and the
    ability to add your own headers, which you also can do.)

    > Ideally, my form will send a basic formatted e-mail to
    > someone. At the very least, it needs to be sent in an
    > ordered fashion so that it makes sense to the end user.

    Create a string from the form values and then make that string the body of
    the message.

    > In a nutshell, I have 20 text fields and 6 drop down
    > menus on my web form. I need some code to take this
    > information and send it to an e-mail address in a
    > readable format.

    Do you know how to do something like:

    Response.Write "The value of text field #1 is " & Request.Form("text1")

    If so, it's all the same concept. Do

    strTheEmailBody = "The value of text field #1 is " & Request.Form("text1")

    > Can this be done? Can anyone please help me.

    Yes

    > I am using IIS4 on NT Server 4 with Option Pack. I am
    > also using Exchange 5.5 for our mail server.

    Oh, you are on an NT Server. Okay, continue to use CDONTS. It will work
    just fine.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Sep 8, 2003

  3. Andrew Williams

    Martin Guest

    Could you not gather all the form field values and just include them in the
    body information?
    I am using a form/several forms with up to 50 fields - check boxes drop dwn
    lists etc. On Win NT CDONTS no problems...
    Or am I missing something?

    Martin, Sep 9, 2003