Using a web service to update a DB directly from a URL

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by mikey, Nov 3, 2005.

  1. mikey

    mikey Guest

    HI all

    I am new to web services and am looking for advice on the following
    We are running dontnet frame work 1.1 sp1 on windows advanced 2000.

    I've been asked to look at a merthod for collecting online payments.

    The plan is to get the amount of money to be payed to us and then fire
    the user off to a third party broker to collect the money. After we
    send the initial request we are effectivly out of the loop.
    After the transaction is compete the 3rd party will send back a call
    back report containing some autheticaton info, an Id for the
    transaction, and an accept or decline flag.
    This takes the form of a URL query string which I have to parse into
    the appropriate data field

    Ok here's the possible web service bit.
    The 3rd party will not do any work to add a web service reference to
    the payment facility,
    they have requested that we supply a URL that will accept and process
    the information automatically.
    So on to the question:
    Can a webservice be called and executed in this fashion?
    If so what format would the URL take?
    If I am on totally the wrong track and you have any suggestion they
    would be very much appreciated.

    thanks in advance

    Mikey
    mikey, Nov 3, 2005

  2. By enabling HttpGet, you can pass parameters to your webservice
    via the querystring.

    Check out
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819267

    regards