    Thanks,
    Andy

    , Apr 11, 2009

  2. Neredbojias Guest

    On 11 Apr 2009, "" <> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm using MS Access to generate html code that I export and paste
    > into a file for updating. I gather the information from the data
    > source, get it into Access so I can format the page according to the
    > administrators rules and then e-mail the updates. This system is
    > rather clunky and I'm sure it could be done more efficiently but this
    > is the way we do it.
    >
    > I'd like advice on ways of getting a nicer code out of my access
    > report. There are many blank lines inserted between code. If there is
    > a more useful database that I could use please let me know what my
    > options are.

    Using access to generate html is like using glass and wool to generate
    electricity. If you want decent html, learn how to write it yourself.

    --
    Neredbojias
    People who live in glass houses must feel funny peeing.

    Neredbojias, Apr 12, 2009

  3. wrote:

    > I gather the information from the data source,

    Which is? How is it formatted?

    Perhaps you could write a procedure that reads directly from that source
    and outputs the necessary HTML in one easy step. Maybe PHP or similar
    language. Depending on your server setup, the PHP could even email it
    for you.

    Write Once, Use Often.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 12, 2009
  4. On 2009-04-12, Neredbojias wrote:
    > On 11 Apr 2009, "" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm using MS Access to generate html code that I export and paste
    >> into a file for updating. I gather the information from the data
    >> source, get it into Access so I can format the page according to the
    >> administrators rules and then e-mail the updates. This system is
    >> rather clunky and I'm sure it could be done more efficiently but this
    >> is the way we do it.
    >>
    >> I'd like advice on ways of getting a nicer code out of my access
    >> report. There are many blank lines inserted between code. If there is
    >> a more useful database that I could use please let me know what my
    >> options are.

    That, surely, is just a matter of setting up the report correctly.
    If access is unable to do that, pass the resulting HTML through
    some other utility to clean it up (or use software that isn't
    brain dead).

    > Using access to generate html is like using glass and wool to generate
    > electricity. If you want decent html, learn how to write it yourself.

    Which is what one would do if using Access or any other
    non-HTML-generating software to generate HTML. By getting it right
    once, you can be sure of having valid HTML every time.

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Apr 12, 2009
  5. Neredbojias Guest

    On 12 Apr 2009, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <> wrote:

    > On 2009-04-12, Neredbojias wrote:
    >> Using access to generate html is like using glass and wool to
    >> generate electricity. If you want decent html, learn how to write
    >> it yourself.

    > Which is what one would do if using Access or any other
    > non-HTML-generating software to generate HTML. By getting it
    > right once, you can be sure of having valid HTML every time.

    Right. I took it that Access actually generated the html but maybe
    it's just "databasing" it.

    Neredbojias, Apr 13, 2009