Using ActiveX Controls in ASP.NET or ASP

Mattt

Hi,

I have an activex control created using Sun's javabeans activex
bridge, and, as such, it must be installed in a certain directory (the
JRE home) if is to be installed locally....

What I would like to do is use this activex control in ASP or ASP.NET.
I've seen various ways to do it but I'm not sure I'm doing it
correctly. In addition, is it possible to have the control on the
server and not have it downloaded to the client? It is a currency
conversion program, with no ui, etc. It does all the work behind the
scenes, so there's no need for the user to even have access to
anything but the results.

How would I go about implementing this? Is it possible? Anything
obvious that I'm missing?

Thanks! :)

Natty Gur

Hi,

I don't get if it ActiveX control that should embed into you page or COM
DLL that you want to use as part of your page processing.

if its ActiveX control you should use <OBJECT> tag to embed it into
page. You can't use ActiveX on server side just use it on client side.

If it's COM DLL you can simply reference it and work against it. If your
COM object is STA don't forget to add ASPCOMPAT attribute to page
directives.

Natty Gur[MVP]

blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
Mobile: +972-(0)52-8888377

Matt K

If I have to use the <object> tag.. how do I do so? I have tried various
examples but can't seem to get it to work. It is an activex control and
is a dll. :)

Patrice

It looks like this an ActiveX DLL. Once registered (regsvr32) it is likely
you could use CreateObject to create an instance of this object, server
side. Create a test page such as :

Dim obj As Object
obj=CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset") ' Use of course your own progid
Response.Write(obj.Version) ' Call some method here

Patrice