Using ASP.Net controls within an XmlDocument instance -- and post form question?

KathyB

Hi, I would be grateful for any guidance in how to achieve the
following.

I have an aspx page in which I transform an xmlDocument instance to
the browser...so (as I understand it) that page contains the
xmlDocument AND the transformed instance client-side in the browser.

The main xml element used in this doc is a <step> element. For each
step element I will create an "Anomaly" button using xsl to create an
<input> button in html and assign the same id as the step's id.

This button should set a session variable that contains the <step>
text node, open a new window and load a form using the variable...the
data captured here will not be saved to the xmlDocument but to a
database.

At the end of the day, I need the user to click on a Finish button
(which I've created via xsl) which will post back the entire form (and
run validation on a few <data_entry> fields). The bulk of the form is
document-based, not data structured like database fields.

I've been looking at the Forms collection, but still unsure of how and
IF I can accomplish what I want...fairly new to the asp side of
things.

Sorry for the length here...any insight into (1) capturing the <step>
from within the html (or would I need to go back to the xmlDocument on
server-side) and (2) posting back the html form to update the
server-side xmlDocument? Ideally in total, not in pieces! This is then
saved as an .xml file.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Kathy