using asp.net membership for application

neilmcguigan

Hello

1. I'm starting a new application, and was thinking of using the
asp.net membership stuff for the application itself. For example the
table "saved_searches" would link the "userid" to the userid of the
asp_net users table. Is this a good or bad idea?

2. if it's a good idea, what if i want to store saved searches for
anonymous users? There seems to be no (prebuilt) programmatic access to
the providerUserKey for anonymous users. Just use a table adapter to
get this value?

3. if it's a bad idea, should i build my own membership provider?

Thanks

Neil

tdavisjr

If you want to take care of situations for anonymous and authenticated
user then you will most likely want to use the Profile object since it
handles that well. Remember the Profile Object can store complex types
like Collections.

However, for your senario listed in #1. Its a good idea i've done it
before with no issues. Its just requires you writting some code.
Howver, it didn't handle anonymous users.