Using ASP.NET Profiles

Matt

Hi, I was trying to setup a Profile in my test ASP.NET application and for some reason I cannot get the Profile object to become available in my web page. If I download a sample using the profile everything works fine but if I create a new web app and copy the information from the web.config of the working sample and create my page and create the contents just like the sample, the Profile object never shows itself. Does anyone have any ideas on what to look for or try? I have tried everything. You would think creating a new project and copying everything from a working sample would work but not in my case.

Thanks,

Matt

John Opincar

In order to have a profile, you have to have a user (which can be
anonymous). Perhaps you are just copying the profile provider data from the
config of the sample that's working but you also need to get the membership
provider config.

John Opincar, MCAD.NET, SCJP
(e-mail address removed)

Hi, I was trying to setup a Profile in my test ASP.NET application and for
some reason I cannot get the Profile object to become available in my web
page. If I download a sample using the profile everything works fine but if
I create a new web app and copy the information from the web.config of the
working sample and create my page and create the contents just like the
sample, the Profile object never shows itself. Does anyone have any ideas
on what to look for or try? I have tried everything. You would think
creating a new project and copying everything from a working sample would
work but not in my case.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt

John,

What I found is kind of strange. If I create a new project as a Web Application and work with the solution file I have the issue, but I found early this morning, if I open the directory as a Web Site then the profile object is avaialble. I also had to change my CodeBehind attribute to a CodeFile attribute in the ASPX page as well. I don't understand the different functionality between the two or why it is different.

Thanks,

Matt