using barcode scanner with ASP / ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Chad, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. Chad

    Chad Guest

    Hello,

    I am working with a client who wants to integrate barcode scanning
    technology into a website I'm building for him (ASP and ASP.NET site).
    Specifically, he wants to use barcode scanning in his order
    fulfillment process. He wants an employee to bring up an order, then
    scan in the products being shipped with the order, then mark the order
    as processed.

    I've read posts that point to barcode scanners that will simulate
    keystrokes and simply input the scanned information directly into a
    web form. This sounds like the direction we need to head.

    Does anyone recommend a particular company's scanner and / or
    communication software between the scanners and the website? I've
    heard about Symbol and L-Tron, any others? Can anyone give me any
    pointers on how to establish communication between the scanners and
    the website, as I'm still a little fuzzy on how to accomplish this?

    Chad

    Chad, Sep 18, 2003

  2. Chad

    dlbjr Guest

    Chad,

    Most Barcode scanners are keyboard loops.
    They plug-in with the keyboard.

    Build a web page with the focus set to a text field in a form.
    the page will place the barcode on the text field and submit.

    I have worked with many wireless handheld device that have a built in
    scanner and used a web site as the application.
    Wal-Mart uses some nice small ones.

    dlbjr

    Unambit from meager knowledge of inane others,
    engender uncharted sagacity.

    dlbjr, Sep 18, 2003